Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: University Purposefully Blocking Torrent Download?

Like someone said, most schools have a unknown bandwidth limit and if you go above it, they will disable or suspend your internet access.

I think its completely irresponsible to torrent on a school's internet. Why don't you live off campus so you can get your own ISP?

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    i jumped on in my friends office on campus today just to test it out...was running at 12/30 mbit for about half an hour before i got shut down : (((

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    most university automatically cut off the net when a user exceeds given bandwidth. Our university has like 2 gb bandwidth per day =/

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    I get a 40/40 pipe with no limits You just need to take proper precautions...besides I figure the thousands of idiots using limewire will go down before me....not that I'm downloading anything illegal or anything

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by nethawk View Post
    Like someone said, most schools have a unknown bandwidth limit and if you go above it, they will disable or suspend your internet access.

I think its completely irresponsible to torrent on a school's internet. Why don't you live off campus so you can get your own ISP?
    why is it irresponsible? you pay the school for internet usage in your tuition bill usually.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by jelll View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nethawk View Post

why is it irresponsible? you pay the school for internet usage in your tuition bill usually.
    After reading so many reports about students and schools getting sued, why take the risk to download illegal content on a school's internet?

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Hrvoje's Avatar mr. nice guy BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by th0r View Post
    How about attending a different university?
    rofl
    Need FTN,FSC

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by limpingjaret View Post
    I get a 40/40 pipe with no limits You just need to take proper precautions...besides I figure the thousands of idiots using limewire will go down before me....not that I'm downloading anything illegal or anything
    Christ. How?

"Be easy, my ninja."

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Poster
    Try tunnelling the traffic over SSH.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Yea using bittorent over university lines will proof diffcult due to their strict guidlins and policies with pirating, it's tough!

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast