Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentium V Amd

Hello i was just wondering what you thought was the best. Most people that i know use a pentium but i have an AMD and was just wondering you opinions on this kind of stuff.

ATM im running
    AMD Athlon XP2600+
    512md ddr
    geforce 440se 64mb ddr/ tv out
    and a 60 gb hard drive

And i am quite happy with what im running for now lol i just wish that i had got a bigger hard drive thats all.
    B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    I think at the moment AMD is slightly losing the speed race, their most recent chips have all been "aggressively" named (ie the speeds they claim are a bit overrated) and Pentium Iv's hyperthreading means that theres currently a definite gap at the top end. However, AMD's make perfect lower budget chips. I personally hope AMD's new 64bit chip really takes off.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    AMD is slightly slower, and has less features - but cheap = good
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Yes i know what you meen about when they claim to have higher speeds than are capable. Like i say im running a 2600+ but to a pentium thats only like a 2.2gh i think so im not really getting that speed.

Any way nice to know your opinions

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    No I'm not saying about the ratings system used by AMD ie 2600 XP actuallyy runs at 2.1Ghz or whatever. This is a fairly accurate way of comparing XP's to Pentium IV's ie 2600 Athlong is roughly equal (not quite as good) to a Pentium 2.6GHz. What i'm talking about is the AMD 3000 and 3200 which apparently do not meet the benchmarks they should, basically AMD overrated them so that it doesnt look like they're falling behind Intel.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Oh right i see whet you mean. So the point is don't go out an buy an AMD 3000 and 3200 lol i confuse my self some times hahaha.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ex-member
    You actually won't really notice the difference between an Athlon Xp 3000+ and a P4 3.06GHz unless you are looking at a benchmark.
    In actual use of the chips, the difference is indetectable.

As for the model rating, the model rating reflects how fast the chip is in comparison to the clock speed of an equivalent first-generation Athlon. The recent optimisations made by Intel to the P4 series means they are now slightly more effiecient than the original Athlon clock-for-clock, so the 3200+ isn't actually the exact equivalent of a P4 3.2GHz. It's still very close though.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I heard that even compared to the first gen 1GHz Athlon the XP3000's were overrated.
    Check it out here http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/.../barton-23.html

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    *Grunt*
    The AMD is a more efficient processer because it is capable of carrying out greater amounts of infomation at one time than the Pentium. This may seen wierd as the P4 is wining at the moment but the only reason for this is that Intel have in panic went right the way to 3.2ghz in case they lost reputation. But If the AMD was clocked 3.2 ghz it would whip the P4, bearing in mind that the benchmark score of the P4 is only slighly higher then that of the Athlon, the Athlon is only clocked at just over 2GHZ which does show doesnt it!

To measure the comparison of the two
    The pentium is somone riding a bike furiosly strugling
    The AMD is someone riding in high gear with ease.

So the AMD is clearly better.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Neo 721@23 July 2003 - 16:29
    The AMD is a more efficient processer because it is capable of carrying out greater amounts of infomation at one time than the Pentium. This may seen wierd as the P4 is wining at the moment but the only reason for this is that Intel have in panic went right the way to 3.2ghz in case they lost reputation. But If the AMD was clocked 3.2 ghz it would whip the P4, bearing in mind that the benchmark score of the P4 is only slighly higher then that of the Athlon, the Athlon is only clocked at just over 2GHZ which does show doesnt it!

To measure the comparison of the two
    The pentium is somone riding a bike furiosly strugling
    The AMD is someone riding in high gear with ease.

So the AMD is clearly better.
    No, the AMD chips are just more effiecient.

AMD use a chainsaw to crack a nutshell.
    Intel chips use a sledgehammer (no pun intended).

The end result is still the same and is what matters, and to tell the truth, the difference between the two is negligible - except when you look at the price tag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast