Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Census

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    The UK Government has now cut the Civil Service by so much it can't actually carry out its own National Census and there's a shortlist of private companies to collect and analyse the data.

One of these private companies is an American Arms Dealer...

There appears to be a petition ongoing regarding this at: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/census-alert/

With more sensitive information being collected in the next Census in 2011, do we really want data about everyone in the UK being collected by a foreign arms company?

Lockheed Martin is one of the shortlisted contractors to provide data capture and storage services for the 2011 Census, but the majority of its business is with the American Department of Defense and other US government agencies. They produce missiles, naval systems and land mines, as well as providing intelligence, surveillance and reconnnaissance services. Most worrying is their claim to deliver 'integrated threat information' to the US military by combining and analysing a widde range of intelligence information from around the world.

With Lockheed Martin involved, people in the UK will not believe that their Census submissions will be safe from being incorporated into these systems, and this is likely to harm the reliability of the 2011 Census.

We at Census Alert urge you to sign the petition because we believe that this kind of company should not be gathering sensitive data on every member of our population
    With all the recent problems in the UK Civil Service, mainly due to arbitrary cuts in staff for polical points..at what point is a systemic collapse going to happen, and will it be too late to prevent when the point is recognised?

I can't, offhand, think of one Government Department that isn't having to take huge shortcuts to get the work done.. and I could point at the huge tax gap, at the same time as they are making huge staff cuts in HMRC (Customs, VAT and Direct Taxes) or the 600 Job Centres and Benefits offices that have closed at the same time as they are trying to get people in work...

Is it right for any Government to delegate to any private contractor collection of all this data from its own citizens?

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Did many people actually take part in the census. I never have nor anyone I know, ever.
    Now go away.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced View Post
    The UK Government has now cut the Civil Service by so much it can't actually carry out its own National Census and there's a shortlist of private companies to collect and analyse the data.

There appears to be a petition ongoing regarding this at: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/census-alert/

With more sensitive information being collected in the next Census in 2011, do we really want data about everyone in the UK being collected by a foreign arms company?

Lockheed Martin is one of the shortlisted contractors to provide data capture and storage services for the 2011 Census, but the majority of its business is with the American Department of Defense and other US government agencies. They produce missiles, naval systems and land mines, as well as providing intelligence, surveillance and reconnnaissance services. Most worrying is their claim to deliver 'integrated threat information' to the US military by combining and analysing a widde range of intelligence information from around the world.

With Lockheed Martin involved, people in the UK will not believe that their Census submissions will be safe from being incorporated into these systems, and this is likely to harm the reliability of the 2011 Census.

We at Census Alert urge you to sign the petition because we believe that this kind of company should not be gathering sensitive data on every member of our population
    With all the recent problems in the UK Civil Service, mainly due to arbitrary cuts in staff for polical points..at what point is a systemic collapse going to happen, and will it be too late to prevent when the point is recognised?

I can't, offhand, think of one Government Department that isn't having to take huge shortcuts to get the work done.. and I could point at the huge tax gap, at the same time as they are making huge staff cuts in HMRC (Customs, VAT and Direct Taxes) or the 600 Job Centres and Benefits offices that have closed at the same time as they are trying to get people in work...

Is it right for any Government to delegate to any private contractor collection of all this data from its own citizens?

A quick question:

Would the sentiment and rhetoric be as desperate if the contractor in question was Chinese?

Russian?

Iranian?

Just curious...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    The fact that any company involved in the "Intelligence" field is shortlisted is worse than "just" a private company. (I believe " a private company" just shows how inept and tied to political dogma the UK Government is, in that it can no longer handle such a job.)

When it's not even our own Intelligence services, but that of a foreign power (ANY foreign power) makes it unbelievably stupid.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced View Post

A quick question:

Would the sentiment and rhetoric be as desperate if the contractor in question was Chinese?

Russian?

Iranian?

Just curious...
    Even worserer!

RF is right though, my mob are in a similar boat and we currently have a spend moratorium in place - we have no pens at the moment
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by benchez View Post
    Did many people actually take part in the census. I never have nor anyone I know, ever.
    I thought you were required to, by law

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post

A quick question:

Russian?

Iranian?

Just curious...
    Even worserer!

RF is right though, my mob are in a similar boat and we currently have a spend moratorium in place - we have no pens at the moment
    A pen in the paw of a civil servant is an instrument of the Devil, and I know, 'cuz I were one.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .

A quick question:

Russian?

Iranian?

Just curious...
    Even worserer!

Actually, things are worse than might at first appear.

When the current government took power in 1997 there were 5.17m people in public employment, few of them particularly overworked, or complaining of understaffing.

There are now 5.78m (down from a peak of 5.85m), yet most of them seem to be complaining that they are understaffed and overworked.

One has to wonder what the heck this government has them doing that an increase in staffing levels of over 10% can't manage to get the job done. Perhaps if they stopped having so many useless meetings and producing so many meaningless reports they would manage to perform the jobs we actually need them to do.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    I'd be appalled by this situation if I wasn't so horrified.

And also, from the Census Act of 1920.

8 Penalties
    (1) If any person—
    (a) refuses or neglects to comply with or acts in contravention of any of the
    provisions of this Act or any Order in Council or regulations made under this
    Act; or
    (b) being a person required under this Act to make a statutory declaration with
    respect to the performance of his duties, makes a false declaration; or
    (c) being a person required by an Order in Council or regulations made under this
    Act to make, sign, or deliver any document, makes, signs, or delivers, or causes
    to be made, signed, or delivered a false document; or
    (d) being a person required in pursuance of any such Order in Council or
    regulations to answer any question, refuses to answer or gives a false answer to
    that question;
    he shall for each offence be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [level 3
    on the standard scale].
    [(1A) But no person shall be liable to a penalty under subsection (1) for refusing or
    neglecting to state any particulars in respect of religion.]
    [(2) If the Registrar-General for England and Wales or the Registrar-General for
    Scotland (“the Registrars”) or any person who is—
    (a) under the control of either of the Registrars; or
    (b) a supplier of any services to either of them, discloses any personal census
    information to another person, without lawful authority, he shall be guilty of an
    offence.
    (3) If any person discloses to another person any personal census information which he
    knows has been disclosed in contravention of this Act, he shall be guilty of an
    offence.
    (4) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (2) or (3)
    to prove—
    (a) that at the time of the alleged offence he believed—
    (i) that he was acting with lawful authority; or
    (ii) that the information in question was not personal census information; and
    (b) that he had no reasonable cause to believe otherwise.
    (5) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (2) or (3) shall be liable—
    (a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months
    or to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or to both;
    (b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two
    years or to a fine or to both.
    (6) For the purposes of this section—
    (a) references to a Registrar include, where he is also the holder of a designated
    office, references to him in his capacity as the holder of that office;
    (b) a person is to be treated as under the control of one of the Registrars if he is, or
    has been—
    (i) employed by that Registrar (whether or not on a full-time basis); or
    (ii) otherwise employed, or acting, (whether or not on a full-time basis) as part
    of that Registrar’s staff for purposes of this Act;
    (c) a person is to be treated as a supplier of services to a Registrar if he—.
    (i) supplies, or has supplied, any services to that Registrar in connection with the
    discharge by that Registrar of any of his functions; or
    (ii) is, or has been, employed by such a supplier.
    (7) In this section—
    “census information” means any information which is—
    (i) acquired by any person mentioned in subsection (2) above in the course of
    any work done by him in connection with the discharge of functions under
    section 2 or 4 of this Act;
    (ii) acquired by any such person in the course of working, for purposes of
    section 5 of this Act, with any information acquired as mentioned in subparagraph
    (i) above; or
    (iii) derived from any information so acquired;
    “designated office”, in relation to a Registrar, means any office for the time being
    designated by him in writing for the purposes of this section; and
    “personal census information” means any census information which relates to an
    identifiable person or household.]

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post

Even worserer!

Actually, things are worse than might at first appear.

When the current government took power in 1997 there were 5.17m people in public employment, few of them particularly overworked, or complaining of understaffing.

There are now 5.78m (down from a peak of 5.85m), yet most of them seem to be complaining that they are understaffed and overworked.

One has to wonder what the heck this government has them doing that an increase in staffing levels of over 10% can't manage to get the job done. Perhaps if they stopped having so many useless meetings and producing so many meaningless reports they would manage to perform the jobs we actually need them to do.
    Well bugger me backwards (metaphorical) where are they all working?

The site I work on has dropped from 600 odd (in some cases downright peculiar) people 15 years ago to about 310 now. We have weeds growing in the gutters and it takes weeks to get a beeping light bulb changed. The actual workload is largely unchanged it is just that we now struggle to meet the time lines where once we provided a service second to none - in truth this is less of a problem than it might be as HM ships are thinner on the ground than they once were.

We have just been told that there is another strategic review in the offing and we have to lose another 20% over the next 4 years. We laughed until we stopped - no really, we did
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast