Thread: XP for eSATA Laptops - Install Help Needed

Question Mark

I have a HP HDX 9000 Laptop that uses 2 eSATA Drives
    Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00

I have Vista 64 Ultimate OEM on the machine and really would like to have a dual boot with XP.

When installing from an XP install disc, I get the No drives found, HP cust help sent me a couple links to make a driver disc, but I just can't seem to get this to work either

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS SUCCESSFULLY ?
    IS THERE AN EASIER WAY ?

I also tried using a USB HD, but wouldn't work either, the BIOS on this machine allows for almost no changes, thanks HP. Nice machine, but support is more interested in keeping problem calls down than allowing customers to do what they want

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Use nLite to make a custom install disk with the SATA drivers slipstreamed in.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I've used nLite before, but it still didn't work, no doubt I'm doing something wrong.

If anyone has actually successfully accomplished this with ANY eSATA laptops, I'd be interested in the steps ..

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    One of us is slightly confused- very possibly me- but isn't "eSATA" an external interface?

Could you post the links that HP sent for the drivers?
    Last edited by clocker; 12-10-2007 at 05:15 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Probably right about eSATA, they are SATA drives.

Here's the email from HP support that gave me the links:
    if you are trying to install a 32-bit version of Windows XP operating system then you will have to install the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Drivers provided in the web link provided below :
    === Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver ( for 32-bit ) ===
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...dlc=en&lang=en

However, if you are trying to install a 64-bit version of Windows XP operating system then you will have to install the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Drivers provided in the web link provided below :

=== Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver ( for 64-bit ) ===
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...dlc=en&lang=en

This should resolve the issue. If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

You may receive an e-mail survey regarding your e-mail support experience. We would appreciate your feedback.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site
    at:
    http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Sincerely,
    Sandy V
    HP Total Care

What do you think ?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I think you didn't slipstream the driver properly.
    After you download the appropriate driver (32 or 64 bit) you need to extract the files using WinRAR.
    Open the files you've extracted and you'll see two folders...one called "Files" and the second is the .exe that will make a floppy.

When slipstreaming in nLite, point it to an .inf in the "Files" folder.
    That should load all the stuff necessary and work.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Got it to work this time ...

I used nlite before, but when it asked for driver install of TEXT or PNP, I chose PNP and it failed. Just choosing TEXT worked fine.

Found more info on installing to SATA drives since the last time I tried this, there is a "universal" sata driver pack floating around, but I just used the links above for my system

now I have to figure out how to get a dual boot working ...

Thanks again, been wanting to do this for awhile

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Dual booting is easy.
    What's the second OS you want to install?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Dual booting is easy.
    What's the second OS you want to install?

I have Vista 64 Ultimate OEM on the machine and really would like to have a dual boot with XP.

It's usually best if you install the later os after the older, (and, if applicable, linux last), 'cos if the older os puts its bootloader on top of the other, it might not detect things properly.

Dunno if there are any known issues with vista and xp booting together like that, though, but I'd guess there's a fair chance you'll run into trouble without some additional tweaking

Don't ask me how to sort it, though, as of yet I'm not touching vista.

EDit: *oh, wait, good one.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Well, Since I use True Image, both installs are by themselves as of now,
    I believe Acronis may have an app to handle this for me, if not I would HAVE to use my Vista 64 install and try to put XP after.

I know this is problematic, but I may end up sticking with XP completely as Vista has been a little disappointing and 64 bit while better than I thought it would be, does get in the way more than any advantage I can see.