Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hosting-ie vps connection speed

SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by fstokebanget View Post
    shared by 5... no wonder the speed is so unstable
    I'm on a low budget, 70 pounds for dedicated setup fee is too much

Let's say I have an idea to share with my 2 other friends for a dedicated server, if we all log in to the server at the same time and all running it's own torrent client, would that really eat up the server resources a lot ?
    It would die a death, quickly!

I might do a weekly sub-let of my seedbox, prob about £10 per week (less than half of what I pay), good for those on a low budget, but I find I am not using it as much as I used to, everything I needed it for has been accomplished, but by retaining a little bit, I can continue to seed my long term stuff, and keep my seedbox alive.

Some half-decent chip or other
    1 GB RAM mem
    160GB hard disk
    Win 2003 Web Edn
    Utorrent & Firefox installed
    Access via RDC via an IP & log/pass, you can set up Webgui if you wish.

You can easily do 200GB+ a day on very popular torrents to popular sites.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Poster
    Let's say I have an idea to share with my 2 other friends for a dedicated server, if we all log in to the server at the same time and all running it's own torrent client, would that really eat up the server resources a lot ?
    3 users on a Linux box each using rTorrent would be fine.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    fstokebanget's Avatar j-e-ib BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    I just think of a problem that might come if I'm gonna use rTorrent on Linux without GUI, some of site like AOMKiller doesn't have passkey, so I have to logon from the same IP, that's from the seedbox, then if it uses Linux how do I connect to the tracker web ?

And about the connection speed is being shared by 5, I just think that it might be not so bad at all, since uTorrent would have a problem, like today on my vps, when the download speed reaches up to 8MB/s, suddenly the program just closed itself.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    shared by 5... no wonder the speed is so unstable
    I'm on a low budget, 70 pounds for dedicated setup fee is too much

• Dedic Raptor Pro Lin 892 Pearl NEW
    http://hosting-ie.com/content/view/34/75/

That one will runs all 6 Clients or more without any hiccups
    But..... You have to remember that connection will be shared again between your friends

Or go fro this ones http://hosting-ie.com/content/view/29/66/ but take some higher ones like Rabtor Plus 2 or 3 I don't' think that there is high setup fee if there is at all.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Poster
    I just think of a problem that might come if I'm gonna use rTorrent on Linux without GUI, some of site like AOMKiller doesn't have passkey, so I have to logon from the same IP, that's from the seedbox, then if it uses Linux how do I connect to the tracker web ?
    It's easy.

All you would need to do is create a dynamic tunnel over SSH to your server. Once created, the dynamic tunnel would act as a SOCKS5 proxy allowing you to browse the web using your servers IP.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    fstokebanget's Avatar j-e-ib BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    any tutorial link about that Fibre ?

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Poster
    You will need:
    Last edited by Fibre; 11-24-2011 at 12:05 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Fibre, could you teach me how to do that on Mac OS terminal ? I use SSH command directly from Mac OS X Terminal

edit : I figured it out, just an easy command line : ssh xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -D xxxxx(this is the port number)

while the socks proxy can be set up in the system preferences

Quote Originally Posted by Fibre View Post
    It's easy.

All you would need to do is create a dynamic tunnel over SSH to your server. Once created, the dynamic tunnel would act as a SOCKS5 proxy allowing you to browse the web using your servers IP.
    Last edited by fstokebanget; 02-04-2008 at 08:17 AM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    does putty works on MAC ?

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Computer Scientist BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMan80 View Post
    does putty works on MAC ?
    wow, what a terrible thread revival and weird off topic question....

no, in a mac, u use terminal...and type ssh hostname.
    just a guy who doesn't like to pay for movies....or video games...or software...or television...or music...you know, just like everyone else!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast