Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Antivirus for Leopard Announced

DiDi's Avatar ~ LoVeLy G!rL ~ BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    "Symantec has announced the new Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard-compatible version of Norton AntiVirus, featuring new vulnerability protection technology."

""With this new Leopard-ready version, Symantec is pleased to deliver industry leading protection for the Mac platform. The new vulnerability protection capabilities give our Mac customers an advanced layer of protection where it counts, addressing the shift in today's attacks," said Rowan Trollope, senior vice president, Consumer Business Unit, Symantec Corp. "Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac enables users to enjoy computing without worrying about malicious threats that could lead to identity theft or data loss."

Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac now provides an extra layer of protection against attacks that target software vulnerabilities. This signature-based protection prevents threats from infecting systems and deletes and blocks malware and viruses from installing when downloading pictures, music and software. This feature addresses today's threat landscape with 78 percent of today's attacks occurring at the Web application layer. The anti virus detects and removes viruses and worms, prevents virus infected e-mail from spreading, and protects against attacks. Macs may seem "immune" to some threats, but they can still pass malicious code on to other users via e-mail, instant messenger, or Web links. Without the proper protection, Macs can be carriers for threats and infect other PCs. To address the growth of multi-platform PC and Mac environments, Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac scans for both PC and Mac vulnerabilities, viruses and macro viruses.

It includes performance and engine improvements to ensure better compatibility and less impact on system startup and resource usage so users can continue their online activities without a slow down in productivity. Product, virus definition and vulnerability protection updates are done automatically in the background.

The software features a unique interface with easy to use set up features and wizards that indicate system status, including how and what is protected. A new Norton AntiVirus dashboard widget gives a quick summary of system protection and status. With the "snooze button" scan, if a user is in the middle of watching a movie on the computer, the virus scan can be rescheduled for a more convenient time. Features can be accessed via the Terminal, allowing power users to bypass the application completely and add antivirus scans and other capabilities to their own custom scripts.

"Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac has proved to be well-designed, very effective and exceptionally fast with Tiger 10.4.x and Leopard 10.5.x," said Norman R. Nager, Ph.D., Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac beta tester.

Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac is available for purchase through the Symantec Store. The product is also available for purchase on select online and retail outlets at an estimated retail price of US$49.95. The product includes a one-year subscription to Symantec's protection updates. Also available for Mac OS X Leopard is Norton Confidential, Symantec's identity protection solution. Norton Confidential for Mac is available through the Symantec Store and at select online and retail outlets for an estimated retail price of $49.99."

Source: Tech2

Last edited by Hairbautt; 12-11-2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added an image and the original source.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    I didn't know that us Mac users needed antivirus software. Should I be worried?

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Yes! Shitty Antivirus software for Macs and PCs! I've been waiting for this day.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    fisherman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    I used Norton years ago and it was only when I tried a different anti-virus I noticed how much of a resource hog it actually was and also how crap it was....I'd never touch any of their products again including ghost...

But fair play to them for releasing this shit for the mac as people will buy it and they'll make more cash as usual even if their product is crap...

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    kaffeine's Avatar No queda el tiempo
    I've never used an anti virus on my Mac, no need for it really. And if I had to use one, it wouldn't be NAV for sure.
    This is just like that drug trip I saw in that movie while I was on that drug trip.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Living on the edge BT Rep: +4
    i have a mac never thought about an anti virus for it but i dont use my mac that much now

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Aaxel21's Avatar AHHHHH!
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    I used Norton years ago and it was only when I tried a different anti-virus I noticed how much of a resource hog it actually was and also how crap it was....I'd never touch any of their products again including ghost...
    I had the same issue. I even tried McAffe and that took up to many resources. Trying to run Battlefield 2142 and McAffe at the same time sucked.
    Remember bullets always have the right of way.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    MaaxHimself's Avatar ‡ Borat Sagdiyev ‡ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Haha great now Macs can start getting viruses too! Don't use Norton kids...

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    i hate norton. thats the last thing i need is tons of norton protection warnings popping up on my imac. besides i have never had any problems with viruses, and i've been a mac user since 2003

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    kyushizzl's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    the last thing i will put on my mac or pc is an antirus software from symantec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast