Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Are In Australia, The Riaa Can Get You

I've noticed that a few Australian's on the board are unaware about riaa's reach,
    Some seem to think that the riaa can’t get you if you’re in Australia but that is complety wrong.
    This is not to scare people and I think people are not likely to go to jail but it's better to be informed than naive

Months ago the riaa in Australian Got the Federal Police http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?sho...opic=20132&st=0 to raid a bunch of the major ISPS, it's not clear what happened to evidence they got from these raids but it seems they are holding on to it waiting for the right time.

Why can they do this?

Because Australia are signatories to international copyright agreements allowing the riaa and the like to take you to court in Australia.

But while it's a civil matter in the US so civil court( some are trying to change this so it will be criminal thus jail time), in Australia we don’t have the luxury of this it's treated as criminal thus criminal court which can mean jail time.

The riaa have a longer reach than just the US.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    but the RIAA couldnt be bothered they only want to go after US first thats their first priority.

They will never get me I wish them good luck

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    I wonder if those a$$holes (RIAA) can get New Zealanders. I better look into it. i hate legal crap.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    All i can say is bring it on...how can they take money from a uni student thats in debt already???...yeah i did the calculations and i would owe them over a billion dollars...So i liked to see them try and get that money out of me...

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Originally posted by Celerystalksme@24 July 2003 - 05:48
    All i can say is bring it on...how can they take money from a uni student thats in debt already???...yeah i did the calculations and i would owe them over a billion dollars...So i liked to see them try and get that money out of me...
    I hate be a downer here but they could force you pay a small amount say $5 a week for years until it's paid off although they have never got billions in court cases in the US and bankruptcy doesn’t cover court.

The thing that peeves me off in Australia is that it's in Criminal court so you could get a criminal record, the most likely you would get a fine, behavior bond and community service.
    The thing is if you did get fined you could set up a fund to pay it off, the guy who got fined $17000 in the US did this and in the end he didn’t even have to pay one cent.
    The file sharing community is very generous when the community comes under attack and I would rather give you $30 to pay the fine then buy a cd from those bastards.

But from what I understand there has never been a court case in Australia about getting copyright material from p2p, there is a court case running but that's against people who ran an mp3 website and an other one ran a simple site that was indexing files on the university network but the uni has refused to give there name over but they said they would preserve the "evidence" for the case.

So it would be very interesting if or should I say when this happens in Australia as it will set a precedent and if you fight it you could possibly drag it on for years.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    So what happens if Celery can't afford 5 bucks a week

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by Hogster@24 July 2003 - 08:01
    So what happens if Celery can't afford 5 bucks a week
    As i said set up fund, i'd give $30

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Hmmm.. interesting reading Junkyard

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Ok i think im proper f*cked....

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    I work for the RIAA
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast