Thread: Dsl

I'm thinking about getting DSL but I'm not really sure what service is really good I was thinking about getting comcast thats like 20$ a month for 6 months then I think it goes to 30$ but I was just wondering if you guys knew any good ones or if you knew if comcast was any good.

-Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    chalkmongoose
    I use Verizon Online DSL. They can setup home networks, etc, for you. About 40 bucks a month I think.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I would get cable if I were you. Not that its any faster but I just prefer to leave the use of my phone lines for what they were intended to do, and thats to talk on the phone not have a dsl router plugged into it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Blingbling
    U can Talk on the phone if u have DSl too Dumbass, Why u POST Nuttin but shit comes outta your mouth anyway go to another forum,,, get a T1 connection better then crappy cable or Dsl u can get it for 60 bucks a month , and dont go with verizon ist crap they complain when u dl to much, try MSN or Cox cable

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Blingbling@24 July 2003 - 05:35
    U can Talk on the phone if u have DSl too Dumbass, Why u POST Nuttin but shit comes outta your mouth anyway go to another forum,,, get a T1 connection better then crappy cable or Dsl u can get it for 60 bucks a month , and dont go with verizon ist crap they complain when u dl to much, try MSN or Cox cable
    I wouldnt consider someone who has been going to college for 3 years with a dual major in computer science and physics a dumb ass. The simple fact that you would even think that I wouldnt have enough common sense to know that you can talk on the phone and be online if you have dsl makes you the dumbass.

I dont even waste mt time with people like you. If you dont have anything else better to do than to insult people's intelligence and be a nuisance then please leave, and dont come back. We dont need your kind around here.

Btw, have a nice day.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Blingbling
    STFU and change that GAY picture of your FAGGOT

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I have used Verizon DSL before Comcast was around. They gave me a digital camera/webcam and free Westell modem. A year later, I told Verizon that a Comcast saleman came to my house offering a cheaper service. Verizon lowered my montly bill (twice in two months) to beat Comcast's rate.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    It also depends on how much money you want to spend.
    And where you live.

Best = Optimum Online.

If you cannot get that, call verizon and ask if you are in the 12,000 feet range to quality for the 1.5MB down dsl.

Comcast isn't that bad though.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by shn@24 July 2003 - 12:52
    I wouldnt consider someone who has been going to college for 3 years with a dual major in computer science and physics a dumb ass.
    goin 2 college or not doesnt make take away the that u can be a dumbass.........

if u acted like blingbling ud be a dumbass even if u had a IQ of 180 (and blingbling, and IQ is what u use 2 measure intelligence, not the amount of useless things u can say in 1 hour, so dont xpect urs 2 be over that of a road-killed guinea-pig (no offense ))
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    I just recently switched from dial-up over to DSL. Best investment, PC-wise, anyone could ever hope to make, IMO.

I had been paying roughly $42/ month for both the service and an extra phone line. SBC (Ameritech) offered an attractive package through Yahoo for $30/ month provided I maintain a one-year agreement with them. Best of all, because I have an extended phone package (call-waiting/ caller id, linebacker, forwarding etc...) I can maintain that $30 price indefinitely. I am pleased with it overall. So far my connection speeds have been in the 700kbps range with download speeds averaging near 128kbps.

The installation was extremely simple. They sent me a package containing the modem, an ethernet card (that I have no use for), phone filters (you need to place one on every phone in your home) and an installation CD which contains a specialized browser (which is crap and you do not even need if you are running XP). I installed everything myself and was ready to surf in less than fifteen minutes. XP and NT include the ability to connect via a PPPoe connection type, so configuring your internet connection is very similiar to that of dial-up. Hell- even easier, IMO. I just threw away the installation/ browser CD altogether. And you do not even notice anything irregular when talking on the phone.

Personally, I prefer this to a cable modem, if for any reason at all just for the fact that I had heard that cable modems are "always on" connections. They are always connected to the internet which, IMO, is not a safe practice unless you have proper internet security/ anti-virus softwares in place.

But in all honesty, I know very little regarding cable modems. What are the advantages/ disadvantages over DSL?