Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oldest Religion In The World.

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@25 July 2003 - 14:55
    They say having children changes a person.

Wicca isn't an old religion. It's based on various pagan rites, but it's a thoroughly modern horse.

I'd already seperated out the current "Fad" to be a pagan

Wicca was one practised the UK before Christianity arrived and never completely died out.

Wicca is only one of the literally hundreds of Pagan religions....however, its also the one that the "modern" pagans chose to call themselves

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. Lounge   -   #32
    The oldest religion is "FEAR", the knowledge that we are physically finite. No other animal bears this burden.

We have since come up with verbal and written talismans to conquer "fear". An ultimate protector has been given the label "God". "God", meaning different things to different people, but universally a buffer from "fear".... if, and only if, you follow the rules.

Without "FEAR", "God" is pointless.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. Lounge   -   #33
    I suspect the oldest god or more likely goddess would be one who dealt with fertility.
    Many ancient artifacts depict a fat woman-figurine.
    The second oldest would be the equivalent of satan !?

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by ToraBoraDweller@25 July 2003 - 17:26
    I suspect the oldest god or more likely goddess would be one who dealt with fertility.
    The second oldest would be the equivalent of satan !?
    That also fits in with the Nature Religion picture i painted

Earth Goddess = Mother Nature

etc etc etc

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. Lounge   -   #35
    Originally posted by Rat Faced+25 July 2003 - 18:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 25 July 2003 - 18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ToraBoraDweller@25 July 2003 - 17:26
    The second oldest would be the equivalent of satan &#33;?

etc etc etc [/b][/quote]
    And why did they need fertility goddesses? FEAR of extinction.

Why did they worship and sacrifice to the Gods of rain, wind, and bountiful harvest. Fear of destruction and starvation.

Again, without FEAR, these primitive attempts to lend stability to an unpredictable world would be meaningless.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. Lounge   -   #36
    Originally posted by Rat Faced+25 July 2003 - 18:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rat Faced @ 25 July 2003 - 18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ToraBoraDweller@25 July 2003 - 17:26
    The second oldest would be the equivalent of satan &#33;?

etc etc etc [/b][/quote]
    True ,but I try to be a bit more specific .
    There are more anthropological models : 1st man was a hunter or
    1st man was a nomadic gatherer ,or combination of both .
    Fact is there are not enough traces (anyways not enough to point out a clear origin)
    One could also say that 1st ppl worshipped fire (There was a movie made around that idea :Quest for Fire(excellent dialogue) ).

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@25 July 2003 - 01:26
    Naker... well, that brings to mind some interesting images.

No, certainly not, it&#39;s rather unlikely that the system I was speaking about even has an actual label, as such. I just remember the conversation before which spawned this thread: Tralalalala saying that Judaism was the oldest religion ever, and my rather esoteric comment to that. In my defense, I was physically ill.

It would be fun to speculate, though. I believe I&#39;ve got some necromancy tools around here somewhere.

@MagicNaker
    Oops&#33; Sorry missed the spelling in quick typing&#33;
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Poster
    Atheism. It must be. Before people existed, there was no religion. No belief.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    After reading all your posts, I have come to the conclusion, that the oldest religion in the world, is IGNORANCE.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    chalkmongoose
    Quite literally, the oldest religion in the world is the one where cavemen developed cognizant thought process, and needed explanations for things they couldn&#39;t explain on their own.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast