Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cpu Temp

Heya, i just got a new mobo\cpu (Celeron 335 @ 2.80ghz) at first it kept rebooting when i got to the winxp bootscreen i finally got it working after disabling the auto shutdown at certain temps.

i just wanted to see if anyone knows what temp my cpu should be at (atm its 76c) it tends to go from 70c-85c~ and google was saying 50-60c~ which is kinda scary haha.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You do have thermal paste on the CPU and the heatsink is properly attached, right?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    seems a little hot

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    im pretty sure i do, like i haven't touched the mobo\cpu since ive got it (idk how to really tell) its at 76 atm. the cpu fan keeps having bursts of speed then going slow again.

im thinking about trying to underclock it until i buy some thermal paste and a better fan
    but i got no idea how to go about this

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ikex View Post
    im pretty sure i do, like i haven't touched the mobo\cpu since ive got it (idk how to really tell) its at 76 atm. the cpu fan keeps having bursts of speed then going slow again.

im thinking about trying to underclock it until i buy some thermal paste and a better fan
    but i got no idea how to go about this
    Did the CPU come with a new heatsink or did you reuse the one you had?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i grabbed the mobo with the cpu still on it out of another pc so it's all stock

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Ah.
    I'd either:

-Plug the CPU fan direct to the power supply (so it runs full speed all the time), or

-Enter BIOS and turn off any fan throttling/fan speed regulators.

One assumes (against all prior experience) that you've verified that the fan isn't stuffed full of dust and still works properly.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Your temps are way too high for a new mobo/cpu combination. I strongly suggest you re-enable auto shutdown until you've sorted it out.

The fan performing bursts of speed makes me think that speed control is where the problem lies, otherwise I would have expected the fan to speed up before it reaches the higher temperatures even if you didn't have the thermal paste/pad or heatsink fitted correctly.

First check you've got the fan connected correctly.

Second, check if there's an option in the bios to set temps for minimum and maximum fan speeds. If there is, set these to default if possible. If there's no default I'd suggest trying 25C for minimum speed and 45C for maximum speed.

You may get better help if you tell us what mobo you've got.

Edit: that will teach me to get interrupted in the middle of posting and not check back.
    Sod it, I'm going for a drink.
    Last edited by lynx; 12-13-2007 at 10:30 PM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    the fan is running fine (or was in the old pc *i think*) i can't re-enable autoshutdown (because it hits 70 pretty much instantly and thats the highest value i can use).

unfortunatly the bios\mobo is branded and theres no option to change the fan speeds from that (or slow the cpu down >_<)

this is pretty much all the information i could get
    CPU Type Intel Celeron D 335, 2800 MHz (21 x 133)
    CPU Alias Prescott-256
    Original Clock 2800 MHz
    Min / Max CPU Multiplier 14x / 21x
    Platform ID 0Fh (Socket 478)

Motherboard ID 02/26/2005-SiS-651C-6A7IAFK9C-00
    Motherboard Name Unknown
    Bus Type Intel NetBurst

BIOS Type Award
    Award BIOS Type Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Award BIOS Message (R01B4S2) EVALUATION ROM - NOT FOR SALE
    System BIOS Date 02/26/05
    Video BIOS Date 04/08/11
    i might try connecting the fan directly to the psu, i'd preffer to just underclock the cpu
    but its all so ugh!.

so far i haven't had any problems (except for the fan going crazy) and its hit up to 81 (and nothing froze, i didn't notice any lag)

Ohh i just found this
    Manufacturer:Acer Motherboard:Aspire SA10
    Last edited by ikex; 12-13-2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: new information

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Precotts were nicknamed "Presshots" for good reason.

Downclocking the CPU seems a fairly drastic solution- fresh paste and an upgraded heatsink would probably rein in the problem but then again, you'd be expending effort and money on a really old setup.

You should try snagging parts from newer PCs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast