Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: irc competitions

Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    i see a lot of sites having irc fill up competitions.

get 50, 500 or 1.000 people in the irc and get freeleech or whatever.

i don't know irc, so what's the benefit for the sites if their irc channels are crowded?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    more people get to know each other resulting in a more active community ??

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    angryghost's Avatar Get In Ma BELLY! BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    haha but most of the people who are actually there just idle, so its pointless just more people doing nothing in a chat channel

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    For now I see only revtt is doing it, who's else ?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by angryghost View Post
    haha but most of the people who are actually there just idle, so its pointless just more people doing nothing in a chat channel
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    For now I see only revtt is doing it, who's else ?
    scc
    Last edited by masterbat; 12-14-2007 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    I believe that communities formed in IRC channels can be a good thing to strengthen each site, but those competitions don't help in any way (pretty much the same is true with idle bonus systems). There are better ways to lure members into the chat and actually read what's going on there.

I do however think it's better to have free leech based on things like this than having three to four weeks of unconditioned FL. If nothing else it at least shows how active and interested a community is in participating: if one doesn't download regularly from a tracker he's probably not willing to spend all his time in some IRC channel.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    pbjabba's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    I don't really see the benefit of having 1000+ users idling either. Surely its just loading up the servers for no reason, which isn't really an advantage for a site. But hey, if they wanna give out free gigs for it i'm not complaining
    And you know what? Macs are too hip. "Oh, look at me! I do graphic design! I wear women's jeans and hang out in coffee shops! I'm a DJ!" Well good for you. My computer is not a fashion statement. It's a computer.
    - Looking for HDBits.org invite - Thanks Magnum

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    If you have your computer 24/7 this not problem for you.
    HT

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    DannyGnXz's Avatar Just say NO 2 Tradin BT Rep: +3
    Sure some sites are offering an incentive to go to the irc, but its more about building a community. If you look at the majority of the most sought after sites, they have strong active communities. Other trackers take note of this and want to emulate the same. example: People (like myself) want to be part of F*C because of its strong community.

BUT the downside of something like this is peeps not partcipating... JUST IDLING, which is good if you are going for a guiness record for amount of people in chat room but bad if you want people to engage in conversations.

It's about pride... Come and see whats here, who knows you might like it, make a few new acquaintances and come back.

The Spirit of Something Greater

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    well , i only saw this on revtt and i can assure you that the people there are not idle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast