Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit torrenting on a Laptop / Notebook

DannyGnXz's Avatar Just say NO 2 Tradin BT Rep: +3
    Just wondering if any of you do Torrenting on a laptop, whether it is exclusively or just part time?

Just curious if anyone has muff'd a hard drive or to doing this or if they use external drives to do it.

What are your views and / or experiences?

The Spirit of Something Greater

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    arbaal's Avatar Poster
    I have an old toshiba 4070cdt dedicated for torrents, it uses many less power than normal pc and it almost makes no sound so it's running 24/7. When room on hdd is filling up (40gb) i just transfer files (seeded at least to 1 ratio:]) to my main station and rip them.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    bornwithnoname's Avatar Bit Master BT Rep: +1
    I use my laptop for BT mostly because all I have is my laptop. As ratio goes over 1:1.25 I move the file to my NAS. Works just fine for me.

I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it. (Terry Prattchet)

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    BANNED BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I do it on my laptop, but since they dont have such a huge lifetime like PC's do, I only use it part-time beacuse laptop>torrenting

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    MODERATION BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    I do... it's hard man. i can't leave it on for an week.. every 2 days an 3 hours off :/ - giving him some rest :/

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I do. I use an external hard drive and a laptop cooler. (The ones with fans) The laptop stays on 24/7 and stays very cool.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    wrongun92's Avatar Love Life BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I have heard that you shouldnt max out on the laptops. It might be better to get a cheap pc and do your torrenting there. But you can always experiment

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    500mhz sony vaio laptop, i ran a bnbt tracker for 2 years, seeded on it (initial seed as well), dl with usenet, transfered to XBOX HDD, rared 4gig games (took 4 hours) was on for most of that time.

still works fine to this day and no upgrades at all, its still got the same 12gig hdd and 8meg gfx card in it.

so if that laptop can do that, then surely laptops these days can handle utorrent for a few weeks.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyGnXz View Post
    Just wondering if any of you do Torrenting on a laptop, whether it is exclusively or just part time?

Just curious if anyone has muff'd a hard drive or to doing this or if they use external drives to do it.

What are your views and / or experiences?
    you can leave a macbook running for month without turning it off.

nothing will happen.

turn off the screen of course to save power.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    BANNED BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    And kill every process and application running, surely without the wi-fi and utorrent running....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast