Thread: If I Bought A Dsl Router (2 Pcs, One Isp)

Poster
    If I bought a DSL router (2 PCS, one ISP), can I transfer files from one PC to another offline (and online)?

Currently, I have my kid's PC connected to mine, via 10/100 LAN cards. Great for transferreing files instead of burning a CD, walking across the room and inserting a CD etc.....

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    yes, a router is basically just the same as a network hub,

edit: if ur current setup is working fine, i dont see why you need the router.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by Livy@24 July 2003 - 12:33
    yes, a router is basically just the same as a network hub,

edit: if ur current setup is working fine, i dont see why you need the router.
    The kid's PC can't be online. They have one network card that is connected to one of my network cards.

I have another network card for DSL.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    u should be able to setup internet connection sharing, but then when the kids pc wanted to use the internet ur pc would need to be on.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    The router should be your internet access point and your PCs should connect to it.

Than run the network setup wizard(assuming you've got WinXP).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Spindulik@24 July 2003 - 11:19
    If I bought a DSL router (2 PCS, one ISP), can I transfer files from one PC to another offline (and online)?

Currently, I have my kid's PC connected to mine, via 10/100 LAN cards. Great for transferreing files instead of burning a CD, walking across the room and inserting a CD etc.....
    yes, absolutely. if your kid wants to go online and you don't want to leave your PC on all the time just so he can do that, definitely get a router. for maybe $50-$100 it would save wear 'n' tear on your PC, and it would actually make your internet connection a bit more secure.

and yes, the router can create a direct LAN connection between the computers in your house. i've sent files from one of my PCs to another through a router, using AOL IM, and even though Instant Messenger is an "internet" program it transferred the files at several mb/sec because it used the LAN instead of the internet.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    You can set up a file as "shared" as well or map out a network drive. This will allow access to the files while your computer is on through the router, and still provide internet access as well. Most routers have decent firewalls as well, so it is a bit of added protection.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Terminal Boredom@25 July 2003 - 04:27
    You can set up a file as "shared" as well or map out a network drive. This will allow access to the files while your computer is on through the router, and still provide internet access as well. Most routers have decent firewalls as well, so it is a bit of added protection.
    You can't just share files but you can share folders with files in them. Just right click on the folder and then on sharing and security.

just make sure both computers are in the same workgroup.

When you go into the network neighborhood either the computer will be there and you just double click on that to see the folders (win 98) or the folders should be right int network neighborhood (win xp (might be different in pro, i forget)).