Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: England Giving The World Soccer/football

Just watched Mike Basset England manager and sum 1 mentiond that England gave the world Football.. I don't know how true that is... but i want 2 ask what the English folk what they think of all the other nations playing football... many people only regard 3 Countries that play football

England

Spain

Italy

and maybe Germany 2 a lesser extent...

but i think many people r unaware of how good the game is in many other countries..

luv 2 hear your thoughts...

2. Lounge   -   #2
    hypoluxa3k
    Originally posted by MetroStars@24 July 2003 - 20:59
    who thinks that?

i think football was invented in britain
    so many nations, so many players, so much history:

Brazil
    Argentina
    Nigeria
    Cameroon
    Japan
    S. Korea
    Holland
    Germany
    France
    Italy
    Spain
    Portugal
    Turkey
    Denmark
    Sweden
    England
    Scotland
    Rep of Ireland

and so on

GIVE US SPORTSWORLD

3. Lounge   -   #3
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    Did'nt football come from Scotland originally?
    I watched a few minutes of the Metrostars play on Channel 5 (UK tv) the other day (cant remember who they were playing I just thought of you met )
    Not a bad side at all. I'd personally like to see the international domestic teams play against each other more often.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by MetroStars@24 July 2003 - 20:59
    Just watched Mike Basset England manager and sum 1 mentiond that England gave the world Football.. I don't know how true that is... but i want 2 ask what the English folk what they think of all the other nations playing football... many people only regard 3 Countries that play football

England

Spain

Italy

but i think many people r unaware of how good the game is in many other countries..

luv 2 hear your thoughts...
    I thought it was a Scottish invention.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    No it's just when i ask British folk about football aboard they only think of England Spain, Italy, Germany... when i ask them about say US soccer, their like wot the yanks can't play soccer..

But a lot of nations now r playing sum amazing Soccer, take Wales for example thier doing amazingly well...

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Poster
    Click HERE

Yer welcome.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Football was first played similar to the way it is played now sometime in the 19th century. It became organised when the Football Association was formed in England in 1863. This was after the game was seperated from the now altogether different sport of Rugby Football. Up until this point there were several different versions of football played which had been played over hundreds of years.

It all started with a meeting at Cambridge University in 1863 which defined the rules of no handling of the ball and no kicking. This led the people opposed of this style of game to break off and form the sport of Rugby Football. They finally split up on 8th December 1863 after they decided that no compromise could be met between the two sides. At this point several standard rules were decided upon. The size and weight of the ball was set and the time of the game was fixed at 90 minutes which still holds today.

The first organised football competition was the FA Cup which is still the premier cup competition in England. This was first held in 1871 and involved all 50 clubs who were members of the FA at the time.

The first International match was played between England and Scotland in Glasgow in 1872. Football soon gained massive popularity and as a result of the financial implications, in 1885 it changed from an amateur game into a proffesional one. Soon after this many other international football associations were started and National teams set up, culminating in the first World Cup in Uraguay in 1930.

FIFA the world governing body was set up in Paris in 1904 and 98 years later there are 204 member countries and the world cup commands an audience of billions around the world every 4 years.

Hope this helps clarify the situation.
    Signature removed

8. Lounge   -   #8
    cool link riddler

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Poster
    Notice it's out of NY ?

10. Lounge   -   #10
    I did riddler, I did

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast