Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is Up With This Name On The List?

I was reading the infamous hit list on that web site, and I really felt scared.

I saw this name: www.k_lite.tk_Kazaa_Lite. I thought, OMG, I remember seeing that name I used before when I was too lazy to actually type in a real user name!! Then I thought that it was just a default one and perhaps more than person had that name. I opened up Kazaa (well, reinstalled it) and typed in the same name: www.k_lite.tk_Kazaa_Lite. Then it said I was connected. I thought, well, no "This username is currently being used, please choose another one," came up, so are there multiple users with that name on Kazaa? There has to be.

Then, I felt like I had to figure this out, I worked the whole day worrying I was going to get sued. I came back home and reinstalled it again, and typed in my friends username. I was able to sign on. Then, I really felt the adrenaline pumping when I typed in one of the names on the subpoena list, just to see if you could sign on under different names (again testing variables here), and I could connect. I typed in about 5 from the list (didn't have any files in my folder) and stayed on for about 5 minutes. Again, no message about this user name being used up.

Plus, I looked in the DB file of the Kazaa lite folder, and all of the properties of the files said they were dated at last being used at June 18, 2003. A few days before RIAA started its rampage! So I hope I am not the only one with this name.

Please reply back with what you think about this.

To stop bantering, does everyone agree that Kazaa can use the same user names for different uses? Thus, if your name is on that list, there's a good chance it could belong to someone else.

Thanks
    -brad

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    The names are the only part that have been made public so far, but they also have other info, like IPs, connected to those names.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    I believe the data they gathered to find people was done possibly weeks before they released the list-of-names.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Well, I've been reading up on it, and they that name is very common. With the IP addresses they've been giving in the RIA subpoean from cryptome.org, I've used a tracer, and those four were either RCN or attbi. Whatever those are.

If I only knew the IP address of that name, then I could see if it were mine.
    thanks for your replies.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I also have the same user name and I freaked out also and even called Comcast tonight what a dork UH!

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    kazaa the program does not give a **** what name you type in to the little box. There are No real log ins. I'ts been that way for some time. We do not log in. We only satisfy the requirement of the software to have some symbols and letters represented in the GUI when you start the program. ZZz

Forget about all this nonsense.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by bc1785@25 July 2003 - 01:50
    Well, I've been reading up on it, and they that name is very common. With the IP addresses they've been giving in the RIA subpoean from cryptome.org, I've used a tracer, and those four were either RCN or attbi. Whatever those are.

If I only knew the IP address of that name, then I could see if it were mine.
    thanks for your replies.
    attbi is AT&T broadband internet, or ComCast (they've been taking over for AT&T in a lot of areas but still seem to use attbi).

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Hi,
    I was also thinking about those user names, and why in hell would just the name Tyler be on there? lol. I mean, I thought, whow, that has to be most common name I've ever seen. Then I found out that they have the IPs behind them.

Here's what I think they're trying to do: Scare us. Tis all. Look at those names on the list, Tyler, Jessica, and Jeff???? They're putting up the most common user names, and have no IP listed to them as of yet, or not published anyway. When in all reality, they've probably only matched one name with one IP address.

-brad

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I called Comcast today and talked to a PR Individual and said that if I havent recieved a letter from the Comcast attorneys yet regarding any future subpeonas then I probably will not. She said though that a have had contact from the attorneys in Cailf and there will be subpeonas issued. Comcast is contact all of thier subscribers to inform them. This is happening folks!!!!

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Well, jeez, that's real smart. You SHOULDN'T have called, now they know you are a P2P file sharer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast