Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Problems

Hello,

I had to format my computer and reinstall Windows XP. Now, I'm having a problem. I'm running a softmodded 9500 at 360/315. Before the format I was on Win 2000, and had no checkerboards/artifacts in anything. Well after I reinstalled Windows XP and softmodded, when using Windows Media Player and some other video players (Avi Preview, sometimes Real player) I get checkerboards on the video. So i freak out, but in games there are no artifacts.

So heres the problem. For some files, there are checkerboards if run through WMP and Avi preview, but if run through Real or VLC there are no checkerboards. On some, if you run any other then VLC there are checkerboards, but if you open the same file on another player, THAT player will play the file fine.

What can this problem be? Can somebody please help me. Thank you.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I have that same problem from time to time. What I do is to find a media player that will play the file. Sometimes a certain player will be able to play a file just fine and another player may not, vice versa. Thats why I really dont have a default player, just a bunch of them so eventually Ill find at least one player out of all the ones I have that will play the file.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    What have you done about driver and codec updates? XP is a bit screwed in the driver dept. It includes all kinds of generic drivers for every device but they may or may not be optimal. Unfortunately, updating the drivers can make things a whole lot worse if XP decides to throw a fit. Are you seeing any minor glitches, lockups, slowdowns anywhere else? What's the CPU show for usage at idle?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Well, I have latest Codec Pack. As far as I know, all devices are fully updated. No lockups, however I am getting the occasional slowdown, but I think it had to do with the real time virus checker that kept rescanning files I was d/ling on Kazaa.

Idle CPU usage is: 1 or 0%

Specs: P4 [email protected] Ghz
    Asus P4C800-E
    512 Mb Kingston 3500
    Sapphire 9500 softmodded to 9700

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by PyroManiac@24 July 2003 - 22:35
    Well, I have latest Codec Pack. As far as I know, all devices are fully updated. No lockups, however I am getting the occasional slowdown, but I think it had to do with the real time virus checker that kept rescanning files I was d/ling on Kazaa.

Idle CPU usage is: 1 or 0%

Specs: P4 [email protected] Ghz
    Asus P4C800-E
    512 Mb Kingston 3500
    Sapphire 9500 softmodded to 9700
    Your computer specs look pretty good there, I couldnt imagine you would be having performance problems.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    You might want to check on the installed updates you have and watch perfmon or task manager to see if you can spot what's dragging it down.
    Another thing that might help is getting off your heavy duty AV and try Norton Corporate. The real time scan is un-noticeable on most systems and it does it's thing without interrupting anything.
    Otherwise I'd still do some driver research. There's always new patches being released for hardware in XP.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Not PERFORMANCE. Just glitches. The videos, have a checkerboard pattern on the file.

Also, I'm amazed at the speed of replies at this forum. I have the same thread on 2 other forums, and not one other reply so far. This is a great place.

Edit: On real-time scan, yes, normally it's not noticable. But for some reason, I could see an obvious slowdown with Kazaa. It was probably because it kept rechecking the 500 Mb+ file that I was downloading since it was always being accessed.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I get the checkerboard pattern thing a lot, mostly with divx player and every blue moon with vlc player. Might want to open the video/videos up in gspot to see if the codecs are there. Sometimes it has to do with the way the video was encoded. I download "I spit on your grave" yesterday and watch the whole movie all the way up to the last 5minutes of it then I started getting these discolorations and crap in the movie. The ending of that movie is one of the best parts and I was pissed. But after openening it up in multiple video players I realized it was the movie itself causing the problem.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Yeah, well the file I was currently playing as a test file was just a WMV file with no codecs. But others are messed up too. I don't think it is something that SHOULD happen though....It's annoying me, because I have to manually start up all files now, instead of just clicking on them.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by PyroManiac@24 July 2003 - 22:56
    Yeah, well the file I was currently playing as a test file was just a WMV file with no codecs. But others are messed up too. I don't think it is something that SHOULD happen though....It's annoying me, because I have to manually start up all files now, instead of just clicking on them.
    Wmv is personally not a good codec at all. You should try converting any wma files you have to mpeg or avi. Since youve got a fairly decent fast enough pc it shouldnt take you long to convert em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast