Thread: Does donate 4 invite encourage trading?

Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    There are sites where you can donate money for an invite.
    I was thinking about this and was wondering whether these are really donations.
    If the money is for a donation then presumably it must come from the pocket of someone who has an account at the site. There are probably some wealthy, altruistic people who will fork out their own cash just so that a friend can get an invite. But I would guess that most of the time the 'donation' comes from a third party who is looking to join the site. If the money is from a third party is it really a donation or an invite sale?
    If for any reason you don't like a site then the usual thing to do is to leave it inactive and it will eventually be disabled.
    However, if that third party has paid money to join the site the account now has a monetary value to them and they may be more likely to recoup the money through somewhere like ebay or trade the account for another that they would classify as of equal value.
    I just wondered whether other people here would agree with that or whether paying for an invite makes no difference in the long run. I would be interested to hear from staff on these sites as to whether donate for invites has increased the amount of invite trades/sales or not.
    I have not started this thread to criticize any site and don't want this thread spammed with people complaining about pay2leech sites etc, I just wanted peoples thoughts on the subject.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    From a site's perspective, the desire purpose of selling invites would be to directly limit membership; to discourage its users of wanting/asking for invites. Unfortunately, which is the case for high level trackers that create such demand, what it achieves is the opposite. Combine with opinions from users and rankings that are misleading, a high demand is created and a supply needed. Thus we arrived at the justification point: The site is willing to add members as long as it fulfills its needs, whatever those might be; The user attains the satisfaction it receives by inviting one of their own to the community.

What encourages trading then? It is not that the user paid to be there, but that his expectations were not met. Thus the cycles start once again; He reaches higher than before... And at his highest point, he finally come to the realization that he had what he needed all along...

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    thechile's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    it would be kind of silly to pay one tracker for a invite then go trade it for nothing to get a invite to another tracker.. you'd be out of pocket no? Buying credit from a site i understand but buying invites always sounds anti-productive to the sites community. It better that people who get the invites are those who have been a member for x months, have followed the rules and have built the needed ratio through seeding.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by thechile View Post
    it would be kind of silly to pay one tracker for a invite then go trade it for nothing to get a invite to another tracker.. you'd be out of pocket no?
    Yes you would, but you would also be out of pocket if you let the account die through inactivity - which might lead some to try to get something else in return for their 'investment'.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    fstokebanget's Avatar j-e-ib BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    I don't donate to get some invites. But I think the collectors will do everything at all costs to get what they want, like buying an invite for a trade.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by fstokebanget View Post
    I don't donate to get some invites. But I think the collectors will do everything at all costs to get what they want, like buying an invite for a trade.
    thats a good point.... take a look at SCT for example... there are many people offering to trade invites.. where do those people get the invites.. ?
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    fstokebanget's Avatar j-e-ib BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Tracker that selling invites shouldn't forbid ppl trading their accounts, because by selling the invites, it'll increase the accounts trading, like jasperr said, these ppl that trades ScT invites is probably buying those invites