Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pentium Vs Amd

What would be as reson for me to get a AMD instead of a Pentium?

pls gimme ur opinion

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    $

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    This is a very commonly asked question.

What it comes down to is your budget.

AMD is the best bang for buck. Period.

Intel Pentium 4 is at the end of its life, is optimized for most programs, and is very cheap if purchased refurbished from a major computer manufacturer, like Dell Inc.

The real issue is your budget. What is your budget? Let us know so we can help you make a decision. Probably read through some articles regarding benchmarks to make your decision.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Is there any AMD's equalvalent to the Pentium 4 3ghz 800mhz? and any of those special features like "hyper threading" (is that even any good)? I use my computer for gaming
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3000+ 333FSB
    Or
    AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3200+ 400FSB ?

No AMD's have hyperthreading, hyperthreading does produce some performance increase (not a huge increase) if the program has been designed to use it and some future (and i think some coming out fairly soon) games will be designed to use it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    Bang for it's buck.... now someone correct me A AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2ghz 400fsb is more pricey than a Penitum 4 3.0ghz 800fsb what...? so that means amd is better cuz its more pricier or what how is AMD more bang for its buck?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    the 3000 doesn't quite match the Pentium 3GHz so i mentioned the next one up which is the 3200. however the 3200 is supposed to compete with the Pentium 3.2 GHz which is about 200quid more expensive than the AMD 3200.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by Keikan@25 July 2003 - 08:51
    Bang for it's buck.... now someone correct me A AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2ghz 400fsb is more pricey than a Penitum 4 3.0ghz 800fsb what...? so that means amd is better cuz its more pricier or what how is AMD more bang for its buck?
    AMD's Athlon XP 3200+ is very new, while the P4 3.06GHz HT has been around for a while. So the initial high price of the new Athlon is yet to drop down below the level of the Intel chip, which it will.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Keikan's Avatar ........
    I live in canada and the highest processers are the ones i listed above but still how is AMD a bang for its buck I don't get it in a way unless your talking about those 2800+ processers i mean like i don't get it. I mean like you said 3000+ don't match up so i really don't get it...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I think u might be mixing up the older 3.06 and the newer 3.0 Ghz
    and like i said the 3200 is supposed to compete with the intel of the same rating ie 3.2Ghz , but its definitely behind in performance

yeah at the moment AMD's 2 highest chips are cheaper buy not as good as their Intel equivalents. So bang for buck they're close. Anything below a 3000 and the AMD is almost identical to the Intel, but loads cheaper so u get more for ur money

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast