Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: virgin question?

Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    does anyone here use virgin broadband, if yes can you plz tell me how often do they change the ip address of users automatically? thanks

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    They don't you have to unplug the modem or use a router to change your ip address you used to be able to change it on dos /release / renew ipconfig but that does not work for me anymore it may for you

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyy View Post
    They don't you have to unplug the modem or use a router to change your ip address you used to be able to change it on dos /release / renew ipconfig but that does not work for me anymore it may for you
    thanks for the advice, i was asking this question because i was told that my ip address changes every month by virgin blue yonder, but it has not changed.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by esco123 View Post
    thanks for the advice, i was asking this question because i was told that my ip address changes every month by virgin blue yonder, but it has not changed.
    It's "static"

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    It's "static" [/quote]

can u plz explain what 'static' means? sorry if it sounds like a silly question. thanks

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    static basically means they are the opposite to dynamic ones, i think users have around 16 static ips allocated to them, you can change your static ip by changing your mac address, once you have done this the modem thinks it is another computer thus it allocates one of the remaining 16 allocated ips.

the renew/ipconfig method would not work on static ip providers such as virgin.

i use this program- http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/

it changes your mac address which you can do by selecting "random mac" then "update mac".
    you then need to unplug your modem and plug it in again, this works better when you use your USB instead of the ethernet connection. the changing of the mac address is limited unlike the renew/ipconfig method, it will give you around 16 ips like i said.

btw, the mac address is just a value set in your computer network settings for that particular connection.
    Last edited by Jiggles; 10-27-2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    thanks alot jiggles that was a very detailed post, i now understand.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    iwaldo's Avatar Member
    Eh no, Jiggles.

Your MAC address is controlled by the network card itself, and is not just a "value set in your computer network settings".

MAC addresses are set in the factory when the NIC(Network Interface Card) is made.

It's also illegal to change a MAC address but I guess no one cares about that anyway

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    yeah, the guy doesnt know what a static ip is, so im kind of explaining to him so he understands it.

anyway, he knows the basics and i told him how he can change his ip. this threads done.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Emma1979's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    Im with virgin, and ive had the same ip address for 2 years. I use a program called Hide ip platinum which disguises your ip into one from another country.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast