Thread: Gates: Longhorn Is 'a Bit Scary

"Longhorn is a bit scary. ... We have been willing to change things," Gates said while trying to eat a fruit salad and drink a Diet Coke during lunch at Microsoft's annual financial analyst meeting at the company's Redmond, Washington, headquarters.

Read the whole article

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Interesting.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Maybe it's going to be scary because of things like this?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Xilo@24 July 2003 - 22:48
    Maybe it's going to be scary because of things like this?
    Looks like a big ass spyware project to me. Guess Ill be using older versions windows forever because Im never going to that crap. But then again someone when find a way to crack that shit too. .

TCPA / Palladium will also make it much harder for you to run unlicensed software. Pirate software can be detected and deleted remotely. It will also make it easier for people to rent software rather than buying it; and if you stop paying the rent, then not only does the software stop working but so may the files it created. For years, Bill Gates has dreamed of finding a way to make the Chinese pay for software: Palladium could be the answer to his prayer.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    That's why there is Linux

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Xilo@24 July 2003 - 23:00
    That's why there is Linux
    You took the words right out my mouth

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Originally posted by shn+25 July 2003 - 06:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 25 July 2003 - 06:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Xilo@24 July 2003 - 23:00
    That&#39;s why there is Linux&nbsp;
    You took the words right out my mouth [/b][/quote]
    Yep

The fact is that Gates needs to decide; does he want to lose cash due to piracy, or lose people due to Linux? IMO leaving out Palladium will probably give him more cash due to possibly regaining that lost cash via increased support by software & hardware developers.

If he wants to bend down to anti-pirates, then he&#39;ll likely add Palladium - And then he&#39;ll realise that although people like Windows, they won&#39;t pay 500 for it every 2-3 years. People will start reverting to Linux because of it&#39;s price tag - Free. And the software & hardware will have its concentration starting to shift to Linux-intended.

In other words, adding Palladium would be the biggest mistake of Microsoft - Linux will flourish like MS did in the 3.1 era, while the Windows division will be f***ed

Sorry if that seems a little exaggerated - I&#39;m try to make the best out of the worst

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    104 views but only 6 opinions. weird

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by Illuminati@25 July 2003 - 02:23
    If he wants to bend down to anti-pirates, then he&#39;ll likely add Palladium - And then he&#39;ll realise that although people like Windows, they won&#39;t pay 500 for it every 2-3 years. People will start reverting to Linux because of it&#39;s price tag - Free. And the software & hardware will have its concentration starting to shift to Linux-intended.

In other words, adding Palladium would be the biggest mistake of Microsoft - Linux will flourish like MS did in the 3.1 era, while the Windows division will be f***ed

Sorry if that seems a little exaggerated - I&#39;m try to make the best out of the worst
    my opinion in a nutshell is what he said.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Xilo@25 July 2003 - 05:48
    Maybe it&#39;s going to be scary because of things like this?
    definatly.

i certainly won&#39;t be upgrading