Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody clear this up for me

arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun92 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bikernin View Post
    dosent happen with high level pvt trackers m8.
    Why people pay for seedboxes :
    1) They have poor home connections and want better ratios on sites so that hey can leech whatever they want w/o worry
    2) A seedbox contributes to the speed of the site and goes a long way in making the site popular. Ever heard of a top level site w/o uploaders on seedboxes? You give back a lot to the site if you have a seedbox and in a way its like donating to keep the site alive. People do so because they love the sites
    3) A comparable home connection costs more than a seedbox. So if its just ratios i need to take care of might as well save money on home connection and buy seedbox. No one downloads everything in sight and a 1 mb connection is more than suffiient for the average user to get all he needs with plenty time to spare
    4) Newsgroups are not very user friendly and have lots of issues such as retention time, par recovery etc. torrents are very easy to use and hence preferable. searching is harder on newsgroups. Also there is no interaction between users like on a torrent site. Torrent sites provide a unique amalgamation of a forum and file sharing making them a one stop shop.
    5) People just have a lot of money and dont know what to do with it
    but usenet also provides those services, doesnt it?
    I don't think Usenet is very user-friendly. I always had to hunt for parity files when the download was incomplete, etc...and the content is not that great...nothing like what's on the good trackers. My DL speed was never maxed out either. It was quite slow.

I never have checked out a service like Gigabits, or whatever its called. I would like to hear from someone who knows what it's like.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    fatcat69's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by arkiebrian View Post

I don't think Usenet is very user-friendly. I always had to hunt for parity files when the download was incomplete, etc...and the content is not that great...nothing like what's on the good trackers. My DL speed was never maxed out either. It was quite slow.

I never have checked out a service like Gigabits, or whatever its called. I would like to hear from someone who knows what it's like.
    I have a few friends that use gigabits, and gigabits offers a month or a week free of use. The only pain with that stuff is its just like torrents...unless you know what you are doing you are helpless. If you know someone who uses it and can help you figure it out... they are pretty amazing.

Best part is that its an ssl secure so no worries about certain agencies annoying your hobbies if you catch my drift. and i guess the speed...essentially it is like torrenting but with all the seeders having 1000/1000 lines so you max your download connection at all times.

edit: more like dedicated ftp servers i guess....

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    How is my ISP going to get a C&D there is no connection between the torrents which are downloaded to the server & my ISP the data traffic to & from the server is via ftp if I am uploading a new torrent or downloading content.
    As others have said though too torrenting is just more fun, and the community is a big part of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by jr56 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    but equally important is security, the IP address which does all the leeching is a server in Germany not my external IP address assigned by the ISP so no C&D letters for me.
    Your server company can get a C&D letter nonetheless causing a possible contract termination and in the worst case identity divulgation

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Have you ever tried holding a convo with a rar file on newsgroups? Ignorant little beasts they are.

Unless you know your way round the discussion groups, and manage to stay away from the alt.2600 hierarchy as well, (which in the old days was fantastic entertainment!) NGs can be seriously full of bigger dickus headus than we have here.

Flamers & haters on here couldn't hold a candle to the NG lot, they rule!

And NGs for 0day apps & packs is woeful, but all the major releases on DVD are generally only minutes behind at NGs, so I generally manage to grab from there first and seed like hell to trackers when I need a boost
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    wrongun92's Avatar Love Life BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    no not exactly. its completely different. while its not a bad option, torrents are just better
    the only thing i can think is prolly retention times for usenet are not that great compared to torrents.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    Have you ever tried holding a convo with a rar file on newsgroups? Ignorant little beasts they are.

Unless you know your way round the discussion groups, and manage to stay away from the alt.2600 hierarchy as well, (which in the old days was fantastic entertainment!) NGs can be seriously full of bigger dickus headus than we have here.

Flamers & haters on here couldn't hold a candle to the NG lot, they rule!

And NGs for 0day apps & packs is woeful, but all the major releases on DVD are generally only minutes behind at NGs, so I generally manage to grab from there first and seed like hell to trackers when I need a boost
    yes I agree, . The reason is prolly user-friendliness.

I was talking more about the fact that security for NGs and seedbox are prolly the same right? If yes, NGs are a lot cheaper than seedbox.
    Last edited by wrongun92; 12-24-2007 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    no not exactly. its completely different. while its not a bad option, torrents are just better
    the only thing i can think is prolly retention times for usenet are not that great compared to torrents.
    Giganews gives me 200 days And stuff is always getting reposted for someone.

Take MP3, 56,947 reported albums that I can find from one indexing site alone that doesn't index everything

I bet it is over 100,000 MP3 albums easy, along with:

30,658 reported movies of various formats
    77,280 reported TV items of various formats

I'm sure you get the picture

yes I agree, . The reason is prolly user-friendliness.

I was talking more about the fact that security for NGs and seedbox are prolly the same right? If yes, NGs are a lot cheaper than seedbox.
    I prefer NGs for downloading, SSL connection means it pisses all over torrents for security, think of your IP as being readable by anyone in any swarm in any torrent that you are connected to :eek:

Just have to find the right balance to what suits you, your needs and your pocket
    Last edited by SgtMajor; 12-24-2007 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    bikernin's Avatar KatanaLover BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    yes the selection is pretty impressive on NGs and that is why i did not comment on it in my previous post. if you know the right indexing sites, you can pretty much get everything you need. besides NZB make it slightly easier.
    but then again, if you just want to download files, topsites rule!

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    fatcat69's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    1. Random post in invite share.....30 seconds
    2. posting the proof for the theory of dickwads by bikernin....5 minutes

3. reading the above joke by sarge....priceless

There are somethings boringness can't buy, for everything else there is spamming FST.

Ya i was too lazy to photoshop it...so use your own imagination to see it.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    bikernin's Avatar KatanaLover BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    LMFAO!!
    hail fatcat!

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    the torrent community is better. you have to rely on someone else to seed back to you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast