Thread: Xp To 2000?

Twist3r
    I had windows 98 then upgraded to xp pro corp its so choppy on video games and crashes so much i want it off!!! I dont have enough space on my hard drive to have 2 oses, if i were to uninstall xp and install 2000 would my video games not be choppy?, or would i have to go back 2 98?

my specs are
    xp
    500mhz
    20 gig hd
    128 mb ram
    PIII prosseser

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Depends on what games you are playing. Most of my games are all NT compatible so I have no problems running them. But some old Win95 and DOS games are almost impossible to even install on XP. Win98 is still the best choice for games but if you play mainly new games that support XP; you might have messed up the system and now it runs games really slow. What games are you trying to play? I have almost the same PC system as you do, except I have more RAM and a P3 450 Mhz. Why don't you first try to turn off some stuff on XP you don't need for games, like AntiVirus or firewall and XP services.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    You need more ram. You need at least 128mb of ram for Windows XP. No wonder why your games are playing so choppy and slow... You could probably upgrade your processor to...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Twist3r
    wolfenstien RTC
    unreal tournament
    4x4 evo

they all are to slow to play would windows 2000 take up less ram?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Yes, Windows 2000 runs pretty good (albeit a little slow..) on a 300 mhz with 32 mb of ram computer I have laying around.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Win2000 is not really tha great for games, XP would be a better choice. You can disable some of the XP services you don't need to free up more system resources. Buying more RAM would be a good idea too. Win2000 also requires more RAM so installing Win2000 instead of XP won't help you.

Go here and read what services you can disable on XP to save more resources.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Twist3r
    that site is great but how do i disable the stuff it says to he doesnt say how!!!

Read all of this before disabling! This service creates system snap shots or restores a point for returning to later. This is the OTHER service that is a massive resource hog. Indexing Service is number one. Every time you install a program or new driver, and on a schedule, this service creates a “restore point” to roll back to if a problem occurs. This service would have been nice in the Windows 95 days due to plenty of problems occurring (new DirectX version every 15 minutes) but not required for the “much” more stable Windows XP. This is the FIRST thing that I get rid of on a clean installation. I feel it is faster and less hassle to just install clean. A rather GOOD (and possibly the only) reason to use this “feature” is to roll back your OS after installing an unknown program or testing software. For example, if you use BETA software of any kind. NOTE: If you disable this service, your previous “restore points” will delete. If, for whatever reason, you do not want this to happen, do not disable this service. By default, System Restore Service uses a LARGE amount of disk space to store rollback points. On large hard drives, this could be well over 10 to 20 GB.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by MadDog-2000@25 July 2003 - 19:47
    Win2000 is not really tha great for games, XP would be a better choice. You can disable some of the XP services you don't need to free up more system resources. Buying more RAM would be a good idea too. Win2000 also requires more RAM so installing Win2000 instead of XP won't help you.

Go here and read what services you can disable on XP to save more resources.
    Wrong. You really should run windows 2000 for a while before you make claims about it. Anything that runs in XP will usually run Better in 2000. Things that don't run at all in XP will sometimes work in 2000.
    2000 Requires FAR less ram than XP.