Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The C.i.a.

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by JPaul+30 July 2003 - 13:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul &#064; 30 July 2003 - 13:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-ToraBoraDweller@30 July 2003 - 18:23
    Intelligence-organizations should gather their intelligence in passive ways and not meddle in other countries&#39; affairs.

Lah, LahLah, LahLah, Lah - skips of into the sunset. The sky a georgeous shade of magenta with hits of pink. Dark low clouds, but not in a foreboding way, if anything comforting, reminding us of Kansas.

Somewhere a bunny rabbit twitches it&#39;s nose and eats a carrot. All the wee ducks fall asleep with mummy duck watching over them. She is happy they are having nice dreams.

Young girls play with skipping ropes. Boy&#39;s have fun swinging on the tyre hanging by a rope from the old tree by the pond. Their hats on backwards.

All is well with the world. But I think I&#39;ll call myself toraboradweller because it sounds interesting and hard. Nob.[/b][/quote]
    Methinks you&#39;ve gotten to the nub, JPaul.

Reality is what we have-hence the term "pie in the sky":

The pie, although savory, is in the sky, where we cannot reach it-and there it shall stay, unattainable, forever.

Well done, sir.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Originally posted by JPaul+30 July 2003 - 19:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul &#064; 30 July 2003 - 19:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-ToraBoraDweller@30 July 2003 - 18:23
    Intelligence-organizations should gather their intelligence in passive ways and not meddle in other countries&#39; affairs.

Lah, LahLah, LahLah, Lah - skips of into the sunset. The sky a georgeous shade of magenta with hits of pink. Dark low clouds, but not in a foreboding way, if anything comforting, reminding us of Kansas.

Somewhere a bunny rabbit twitches it&#39;s nose and eats a carrot. All the wee ducks fall asleep with mummy duck watching over them. She is happy they are having nice dreams.

Young girls play with skipping ropes. Boy&#39;s have fun swinging on the tyre hanging by a rope from the old tree by the pond. Their hats on backwards.

All is well with the world. But I think I&#39;ll call myself toraboradweller because it sounds interesting and hard. Nob.[/b][/quote]
    "Mummy duck"?

That is downright creepy. Can you imagine a duck, whos&#39; internal organs have been removed and placed in jars, filled with perfume and wrapped in bandages, swimming about your pond?

Sounds like some surreal world in a song by Beck.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    Poster
    That would be mummified, Bunny Boy

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    power is not a new game, it just gets played in different forms. the CIA is practicing an ancient art, and is despised more than the intelligence agencies of other countries not because their actions are intrinsically more reprehensible -- its that the scale of the repurcussions are so enormous.

Having said that, there are long-term trends at play that shouldn&#39;t be ignored, after all the nation-state is a relatively new development, and has changed the way the game is played.

What I&#39;d like to know is this: is the USA today any more powerful compared to its contemporaries than previous superpowers (portugal, spain, france, england), were to theirs? is this just more of the same, or is the USA in control of an unprecedented amount of dominance/power/influence relative their peers?

We could argue all day about the nasty things that CIA has done, there are any number of examples, but if it just happens to be the US&#39;s turn at the head of the table, why not accept the fate of nations, and be thankful we don&#39;t live in a power vacuum? There&#39;s a lot to be said about the stability that arises from a dominant ideology, as far as I&#39;m concerned

now there&#39;s something i never would have considered, let alone conceded, as a younger man....

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Poster
    Originally posted by myfiles3000@30 July 2003 - 18:22
    power is not a new game, it just gets played in different forms. the CIA is practicing an ancient art, and is despised more than the intelligence agencies of other countries not because their actions are intrinsically more reprehensible -- its that the scale of the repurcussions are so enormous.

Having said that, there are long-term trends at play that shouldn&#39;t be ignored, after all the nation-state is a relatively new development, and has changed the way the game is played.

What I&#39;d like to know is this: is the USA today any more powerful compared to its contemporaries than previous superpowers (portugal, spain, france, england), were to theirs? is this just more of the same, or is the USA in control of an unprecedented amount of dominance/power/influence relative their peers?

We could argue all day about the nasty things that CIA has done, there are any number of examples, but if it just happens to be the US&#39;s turn at the head of the table, why not accept the fate of nations, and be thankful we don&#39;t live in a power vacuum? There&#39;s a lot to be said about the stability that arises from a dominant ideology, as far as I&#39;m concerned

now there&#39;s something i never would have considered, let alone conceded, as a younger man....
    I believe the answer is yes. The current United States has been compared to those four entities at the height of their power and i believe that the power/influence was indeed higher. I&#39;m not sure about the Roman empire though. If you consider GDP as a measure of power, then think about this: At one time within the past 50 years the GDP of the USA was higher than all the other countries&#39; totals combined.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Originally posted by SodiumChloride@31 July 2003 - 11:24
    If you consider GDP as a measure of power, then think about this: At one time within the past 50 years the GDP of the USA was higher than all the other countries&#39; totals combined.
    What do u mean by that

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    You&#39;re going to have to adjust for general wealth and population of the world if you do that. The Roman Empire, if it were at the height of its power today, would be an elephant to the USA&#39;s flea.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    "The C.i.a., Has controled countries for too long."

Lets not forget that they&#39;re also responsible for keeping the West democratic and capitalist. If black ops is what it takes to keep me and mine out of the research lab of society&#39;s doomed adventures, I&#39;ll have more please.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Originally posted by JPaul+30 July 2003 - 19:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JPaul @ 30 July 2003 - 19:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ToraBoraDweller@30 July 2003 - 18:23

All is well with the world. But I think I&#39;ll call myself toraboradweller because it sounds interesting and hard. Nob. [/b][/quote]
    No the world is indeed not a rosy place .
    But is that a reason to hand it over to criminals and cynics ?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Poster
    Originally posted by ToraBoraDweller+31 July 2003 - 20:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ToraBoraDweller @ 31 July 2003 - 20:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by JPaul@30 July 2003 - 19:23
    <!--QuoteBegin-ToraBoraDweller
    @30 July 2003 - 18:23

All is well with the world. But I think I&#39;ll call myself toraboradweller because it sounds interesting and hard. Nob.
    No the world is indeed not a rosy place .
    But is that a reason to hand it over to criminals and cynics ? [/b][/quote]
    No.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast