Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What I Just Learned About BT Encryption

DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    people are caught on public bt from mpaa and riaa from their IP address. encrypting will not change that, only using a proxy will.

also, encryption will not stop your ISP from seeing what you are doing. They will see the bt protocol, but they will not be able to identify exactly what you download.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleD87 View Post
    people are caught on public bt from mpaa and riaa from their IP address. encrypting will not change that, only using a proxy will.

also, encryption will not stop your ISP from seeing what you are doing. They will see the bt protocol, but they will not be able to identify exactly what you download.
    But these agencies have to be able to identify what is being downloaded. If it's all encrypted they wouldn't be able to do that.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    that is why they only catch people on public torrents. they join the pool like any other peer on a public torrent and whoever sends them data from that torrents gets the letter. it doesn't matter if the data is encrypted or not because they can decrypt it on their end. decryption hides the data from the ISP not the mpaa or the riaa.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    horiZen's Avatar >>SSL ENCRYPTED<<

torrenting through encryption with any/most BT clients will not help in the case of ISP throttling/shaping(perhaps to some minor extent)---only way round this is through socks4/5 protocol using SSLv.3 encryption

as far as IP logging goes,,try to avoid public sites thats bout the best advice although i'm pretty sure the "organisations" have so many IP's already and it would be impossible to realistically prosecute "en-masse" public

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    zxion's Avatar Taste Good BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    interesting topic, proxying doesn't sound like a bad idea..

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    that is why they only catch people on public torrents. they join the pool like any other peer on a public torrent and whoever sends them data from that torrents gets the letter. it doesn't matter if the data is encrypted or not because they can decrypt it on their end. decryption hides the data from the ISP not the mpaa or the riaa.
    OK...I gotcha now. There's no way around that I suppose.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Comcast still throttles my connection despite encryption.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I worked at Comcast. They monitor users by how much traffic they are allocatting meaning how much bandwidth their taking up at one time. Even if your downloading big legit files, they still assume it could somehow be illegal if they see that bandwidth is being constantly tied up from your ip address.

They also use a software called sandvine, from a company with the same name, that uses advanced filters to track down certain users that they may suspect is trafficing BT content.

Best bet is to force encrypt all incoming data whether you use utorrent or other clients. Encrytion will not stop your isp from knowing that your hogging up bandwidth from BT downloads. they still know your downloading BT content they just don't know what your downloading. Use a proxy to be almost entirely safe. Even though you'll never be entirely safe. VPN tunnels are the most safe proof though.
    Last edited by grimms; 12-26-2007 at 05:33 AM. Reason: edit

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    bikernin's Avatar KatanaLover BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    as long as they detect the protocol, they will stop you. and if what grimms says is true, then the best option would be to search for a new isp. comcast is stupid! what else would a home user do with a high speed net connection if not download movies, music, games etc??

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    i'm using comcrap. 100% through a proxy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast