Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting This 500GB HD On Boxing Day, Any Thoughts?

Poster
    Tomorrow is boxing day and there is this external 500GB hd on sale at future shop.
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0096146&catid=
    Any last minute thought or doubts about this sweet deal. The only concern is that I never head of this company name Trekstor so I don't know how trust worthy they make their product.

Btw, what's the exact size of a 500gb hd after it been formatted? I had a 250gb because and it became 220gb after the format.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all of you!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Merry Christmas to you, too.

Your disk size after formatting will be @465GB.

Personally, I would have some trepidation about this item.
    As you noted, it's not a well known brand and only comes with a two year warranty.
    Also, it uses a USB interface and I'd much prefer eSATA.

Since you're going to use this as a data storage strategy (as opposed to an OS drive) it would only seem logical to splurge on a known quality drive.
    Good external enclosures are relatively inexpensive as well.

I'd pass.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Thanks for your reply but last year I got a 250GB from another unknown band and it's still working so far. Since it's only movies, music, pictures, that i store I don't think I would leave it running 24/7 . I found a Western Digital 320GB for the same price from another store. I'm still debating which I should get. I know W.D. is like the best hd band out there but for the same price I could get an extra 180GB. Any thoughts?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I actually favor Seagate over WD but meh, let's not quibble.

Only you can balance the size/price against the reliability.
    Do you back up all this stuff on disks as well?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Nope, I don't have that much disc to spare. I'm 100% relying on the hd. My files aren't that important anyways. I could always get them back(I'll be mad and annoyed though) but I'm worry about how long it can actually last before it crashes or something weird happens.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I read an article in a PC Mag recently that stated external drive life span seems to be dependent almost entirely on how well ventalated the unit is. They recommended name brand units and said to avoid do it your self external enclosures because there tests showed they had the worst ventilation. I have also seen alot of posts on different forums about trouble with WD externals suddenly not being recognized (usually a result of not shutting down correctly and the drives boot record or header becomes unreadable) I have not seen the same complaints for Seagate or Maxtor, just WD usb drives, although it may be that WD is more popular and thats why there are more complaints. I on the otherhand hate and detest WD as its the only brand drive (internal) I have ever owned that failed on me and just after the warranty was up too, it died with the dreaded "click of death" a common failing of WD drives.

So look on the manufacturers web site for information on its ventilation system, fans are better than slots and two fans would be better than one. Just like a PC, a good enclosure venting system should draw air in at the front and exit the back. Remember, usb transfers data at 60mb per sec but eSata can do 300mb per sec or 5 times faster. Even if you have to buy an eSata card for the PC if it doesn't have its own, the faster speeds are well worth it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    I on the otherhand hate and detest WD as its the only brand drive (internal) I have ever owned that failed on me and just after the warranty was up too, it died with the dreaded "click of death" a common failing of WD drives.
    i feel the same way about seagate.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    It could be made by anyone from WD to Seagate but just has The Futureshop brand . You can still buy an extended warranty for 20 buck for 3 years . I would look at the case and see the ventilation . I have a cheap encloser I bought for $ 20.00 and a good HDD 250 gb I had lying around , but dam this thing gets hot !

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    wrongun92's Avatar Love Life BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    I on the otherhand hate and detest WD as its the only brand drive (internal) I have ever owned that failed on me and just after the warranty was up too, it died with the dreaded "click of death" a common failing of WD drives.
    i feel the same way about seagate.
    what about maxtor?

I thought WD were good

To see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tyman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    For right now...I have a WD. I like it and it is great. We'll see how that comes in a few months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast