Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isn't Scanning Our System Consider Hacking Us?

Isn't scanning our system and invading our privacy illegal? Its like a person taking private pictures of you and learning all your secrets.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Wise Kvcd Maker/PIMP
    Yes, it is illegal that's why they can't do it. Thats why they are trying to get through the ISPs to get to downloaders

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    good point I actully never thought of that till you rose it

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    So, maybe all this crap about the RIAA is BS, since if they really are scanning our system, its like trying to hack us because its consider hacking since they are hammering our firewall.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    It's not illegal to scan anything. If the information is used against you , then it has questionable merit and may allow you to sue.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    chalkmongoose
    Originally posted by balamm@4 August 2003 - 01:57
    It's not illegal to scan anything. If the information is used against you , then it has questionable merit and may allow you to sue.
    And Balamm, what exactly did you think they'd do with it? Sit on it? Let it rot? Let it wait until the user can deep6 format his computer?
    I'm sure that they'd use any information they could find, and sadly, many people are broadcasting that they share illegal files, and are making it extremely easy for the RIAA to say "we found these on your computer, but we found them by using a search engine, which means they were publicly accessable"

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I'm not sure which info them scanning are you focusing on but if you're talking about the copyrighted files you share, then you cannot sue because of the fact that you allowed these files to be shared.

If you're talking about personal info, you still cannot sue if you are sharing copyrighted material. Its like any "crime" (although i still say what you cannot hold you cannot steal), if you are a suspect in it, you cannot stay anonymous and the authoroties have the right to know your personal details.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    yeah that is just as bad as haacking and should have a penalty whether not the person uses it.......

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Goddamnit, if you're not going to read everything posted on a topic at least do your own research.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    You're missing the fact that this is not a criminal matter.
    If they provide evidence against you based on an invasion of privacy, you May sue. Especially if it's likely that you could prove a case of malicious prosecution. If you are randomly scanned, then you may not be advertising files for upload. You might only be doing a speed test, using various files and protocols as I do sometimes. We must keep our servers in top shape you know

Anyway, The point is to think "outside the box".
    If you assume you are guilty of a crime, you probably will be found liable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast