Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Me......

FST Retiree
    Can anyone tell me how to boot into DOS on ME? i dont have a machine with it around and it's been too long since i've used it to remember. any help would be appreciated .

B)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Im an xp person myself and you cant boot into dos with xp unless its the recovery console, which actually isnt dos but just a seperate command line interpreter built into the recovery console.

What is it exactly you need to boot into dos for? I dont know if you can do it in 2000 or not. I know that 98 and anything before you can. But maybe the recovery console may help you as well.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    FST Retiree
    the problem is, there are no setup discs available to use to get to even a recovery console. i think i may have found a way to do it, but i'm not where the computer is, so its gonna be hard to get everything there. i'm just wondering if there is any way to boot into DOS in ME without a startup disc or the original install disc.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Out of The Ordinary
    Check this site dg_mortal

BOT

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    FST Retiree
    thanks [b][O][T]....thats exactly what i was looking for .

:beerchug:

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    FST Retiree
    well that worked....got me into DOS at boot. but now there is another problem. the computer won't leave DOS now. the win and exit commands don't work, and pressing F8 at boot and selecting start windows normally takes it back to DOS again. anyone know how to edit the config.sys file using DOS to get it back to booting to windows.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by dg_mortal@25 July 2003 - 23:03
    well that worked....got me into DOS at boot. but now there is another problem. the computer won't leave DOS now. the win and exit commands don't work, and pressing F8 at boot and selecting start windows normally takes it back to DOS again. anyone know how to edit the config.sys file using DOS to get it back to booting to windows.
    Now that may really be a problem where you may have to get into the recovery console to fix . Hopefully not

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Couldn't you just hold down " control " while it booted to get the boot option menu with safe mode and dos ?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    FST Retiree
    Originally posted by balamm@26 July 2003 - 00:13
    Couldn't you just hold down " control " while it booted to get the boot option menu with safe mode and dos ?
    i wish that would work but unfortuanatly it doesnt. even when chooing start windows normally, it boots into DOS and the safe mode options is non-existent now. the only way i see getting back into windows is editing the config.sys file, but thats a no go as well. looks like formatting is in the future for this one. thanks for the help anyways.

B)

P.S......GODDAMN YOU BILL GATES!!!!!!!!

i feel better now

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by dg_mortal+25 July 2003 - 23:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dg_mortal @ 25 July 2003 - 23:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-balamm@26 July 2003 - 00:13
    Couldn&#39;t you just hold down " control " while it booted to get the boot option menu with safe mode and dos ?
    i wish that would work but unfortuanatly it doesnt. even when chooing start windows normally, it boots into DOS and the safe mode options is non-existent now. the only way i see getting back into windows is editing the config.sys file, but thats a no go as well. looks like formatting is in the future for this one. thanks for the help anyways.

B)

P.S......GODDAMN YOU BILL GATES&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

i feel better now [/b][/quote]
    Before you attempt to format . Do you have an extra partition on your drive? You can install windows on that and keep the partition that wont boot up. Boot from the newly installed operating system. Check your boot.ini or in your case the one you were refering to config.sys and fix it then. That way you wont lose anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast