Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problems with my ford explorer

popwar's Avatar Popwar
    if i dont let my truck warm up enough, it quits when i try to go in reverse. it either quits after the gear is engaged or after i back up and quits before it stops. then i have to restart it and its fine afer that. but sometimes if im at a stop for more than 15 seconds it wants to quit on me. that i think might be where the battery cable is loose. but im still stunned on the quitting in reverse. it also jerks me back and makes a bang noise.. wtf is goin on.. help please. very appreciated

2. Lounge   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Does this happen only when cold (meaning not in the summer) and only in reverse?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    Sounds like it's idling low or the automatic choke (if such exists) is not working properly.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    weenden's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    could be water in your fuel ,a tune up maybe .new wires,timing chain i could keep going but i would put some fuel treatmant next fuel up try that
    im just a frigen dreamer and im waiting for them to come true ....trust(trst)n. 1. Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing.
    2. Custody; care.
    3. Something committed into the care of another; charge.
    4. a. The condition and resulting obligation of having confidence placed in one.
    b. One in which confidence is placed.
    "and Yes people have put trust in me""and i thank you all"

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    buy a new one.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    google for "idle air control" see what you find.

were you trying to say, in your op, that your truck has backfiring? if so disregard my advice about the idle air control.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Sextent View Post
    Sounds like it's idling low or the automatic choke (if such exists) is not working properly.
    Since all modern cars are fuel injected there isn't such a thing as a "choke" any longer but remapping of the injector's duty cycle based on coolant temp does basically the same thing.

A general tune up would probably help as would changing the oil in the tranny (and transfer cases if present).
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Lounge   -   #8
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    its not backfiring. just when i gointo reverse it jerks me back a little. sometimes pulls the truck back. ever since i got the truck last spring. i've put new tires on it, new sparkplugs,sparkplug wires,new battery, and a new starter on it. it all needed done when i got the truck but just been doin it gradually. i heard fords idle low but idk.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    popwar's Avatar Popwar
    and yea it mostly does it when its cold out but also does it when its warm. although not as bad

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Evil9's Avatar Evolved Member
    Most Likely: Check your battery connections, this sounds like a connectivity issue.

Alternative: Could be bad seal in the tranny. When you put it in reverse a piston moves to change the gears. If the seal is old and worn fluid can get past it. Since it happens only sometimes and in the cold I would guess the seal is starting to fail and when it heats up it expands to its correct size

Other possibilities: IAC (Idle Air Control) Like Mediaslayer said.
    If it is the IAC, Don't go buying a new one though. Remove it and clean the plunger area. Flush it with oil. Use engine oil or I've read where people use WD-40 with same success. What happens is the plunger gets hung up and won't open to allow air in for idle. It is possible your IAC motor is bad, but unlikely. Regardless, at 50-60 buck for replacement, it's worth a cleaning. I cleaned mine and am going over a year now with no issues. Cold weather usually triggers the problem of plunger sticking. If need be, free the plunger up with a gentle push of a small screw driver.
    Last edited by Evil9; 12-31-2007 at 12:54 AM.
    "BecauseWeAdaptWeEvolve/BecauseWeEvolveWeExist"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast