Thread: RAM: help me please !!!

mym_2006's Avatar Torrent Lover BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13

Question Mark

first of all HaPPy NeW YeaR .

actually My problem is that i have 1024 Mb of ram (2 X 512Mb "512MB 2Rx16 PC2-5300s-555" ) and I really need to upgrade it so ,,,
    Can I upgrade one 512 Ram to 1024 (total ram will be 1536KB)?what will be it's type?
    AND
    If i will buy 2X 1024 RAMs what is the best type ?

thank u so mush for your help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    hema999's Avatar I-I*£*IvI*Д BT Rep: +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50BT Rep +50
    how can you get a ram type from a global forum & found it in Egypt !!!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mym_2006's Avatar Torrent Lover BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    you have a point in that
    but i can find it !!!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    Yes, long as they are same speed you can use any sticks on the slot that is supported by your motherboard. So in your case you can use 1x1gb stick and 1x512mb stick long as your motherboard support 1.5gb and the speed.

First check your total memory support by the motherboard, then check the speed. Then check how many slots you have total (how many free and in used). According to that you can put more. Only time the memory stick size will HAVE to be same speed and same size is when you are trying to use dual channle where the pair always have to match.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Download cpuz for free. Google it. It will tell you your MOBO specs and to see how many slots you have. Also read your Mobo instructions manaual to see your total ram limit (I think up to 8 gb's on most mobo's now) Kingston is a pretty good memory brand. Check out www.tigerdirect.com for some good prices and suggestions.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post
    Download cpuz for free. Google it. It will tell you your MOBO specs and to see how many slots you have. Also read your Mobo instructions manaual to see your total ram limit (I think up to 8 gb's on most mobo's now) Kingston is a pretty good memory brand. Check out www.tigerdirect.com for some good prices and suggestions.
    ^ Add to that, cpuz will only pull the info for memory sticks thanks to SPD on the stick same as done on POST when softpower is applied. Don't use tigerdirect as its overpriced, to find better deal go search in PriceWatch.com or get from dealers like Newegg. Memory is VERY cheap now sepcially DDR2 compared to DDR. But don't waste your money on a chip that is less than 1GB, most single slot now can support 8gb depending on he mobo. So keep that in mind if you ever deside to replace it or use it on another system.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    BEGINER's Avatar NOOB BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Definitely dont buy below 1Gb,but my advice is to buy 2x1,ram is cheap now,a there is huge difrence between 1gb alone,and 2gb in dual chanel...But realy depending on your Mobo...A best choice is OCZ or Geil,or Kingston(but if you wish realy good and fast and good OC DDR i suggest you to buy OCZ