Thread: My Old Computer

I have a computer that i don't turn on very much. A couple of times a week.

The problem is whenever i turn it on i hear this LOUD noise (fan?)
    I know their are quiter fan, but the thing is, it didn't make that sound before.

History - My old computer worked fine for 1½ year. Until one day i started windows 98 and it wouldn't start.

Some disk error. Took it somewhere, they said something was wrong with your fan, so i bought a 40$ fan.

After another year of no problem, not the computer has started to make a lot of noise.

So my question is, is the fan going bad again?

Should i clean it?

Should i replace it?

Should i even give a crap since i don't care if it blows up?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    you should clean the fan(s) every month at least

more if your room is dusty

i get some dust buildup on my case fan sometimes, it raises temps about 2 degrees and makes a bit more noise if i don't clean it
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    *Grunt*
    There could be a wire caught up in the fan causing it to struggle and make a noise. The other answer could be that the power suply has a problem with it resulting in the power not geting through to it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    My Computer runs better now then it did 3 years ago with all the new progs...weird i know...look at my stats..and it haulss lol its pretty weird
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Sometimes a failing harddrive motor makes loud noises when winding down.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Neo 721@26 July 2003 - 17:55
    There could be a wire caught up in the fan causing it to struggle and make a noise. The other answer could be that the power suply has a problem with it resulting in the power not geting through to it.
    Could it be that the computer&#39;s not getting enough power?

A lot of things are plugged into the same power outlet.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by stonecold1203+27 July 2003 - 15:30--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (stonecold1203 @ 27 July 2003 - 15:30)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Neo 721@26 July 2003 - 17:55
    There could be a wire caught up in the fan causing it to struggle and make a noise.&nbsp; The other answer could be that the power suply has a problem with it resulting in the power not geting through to it.
    Could it be that the computer&#39;s not getting enough power?

A lot of things are plugged into the same power outlet. [/b][/quote]
    You won&#39;t get power drops by having too much plugged into the same outlet.

If you are trying to draw too much current (very unlikely with comp equipment) then I suppose you could end up burning the house down though - oh wait, the fuse would blow first wouldn&#39;t it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I have gone through fans like m&m&#39;s. Fans that moaned and groaned.

You need a new fan&#33;

Unfortunately, if it is the power supply, you&#39;ll need a new power supply, unless you do what I do. Buy a fan or recycle a fan from an old power supply.

You&#39;ll need to take the power supply apart, clean the dust, un-solder the old fan and replace it, making sure that the air low is in the correct direction.