Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Computer or Upgrade?

rocky1234's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I will suggest u to make your own computer. It's better as it does not have all the crappy software that the comp. companies install beforehand.

It can also save u lot of bucks !!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    That's a nice collection of parts.

Personally, I'd ditch the quad core and get a dual...unless you're a really heavy gamer, in which case you need the quad AND a second vid card.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Damn while I was out looking up a system for this guy you posted one already!! Damn you Broken!!! Fuck it Im posting mine anyway. I went the Compared to Dell parts route though:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 (4MB L2 Cache,3.0GHz,1333 FSB) $279.99

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Digital Cable Support What!?

3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs $76.99 ($36.99 after $40.00 Mail-In Rebate)

320GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache $79.99

16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability $30.99

No Monitor

512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT $289.99

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
    OK so you will need a MoBo I'm gonna suggest this one as Someone suggested it to me and I love it

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard $99.99
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Grand Total $857.94

Im sure you have a Mouse, Keyboard and a monitor, If not you now have $340 to spend on new ones. Now I also figured you could keep you old case but you could surely upgrade it to a new snappy one. I suggest this one the Antec 900 Awesome cooling as it comes with a bunch of fans. Also it's my case This is just what I looked up on new egg and I'm sure others can find a better system with more research but I did this make up in 10 min so forgive me all if I made a mistake

The parts I found are as follows

Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

HDD Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write

EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Broken's System is better and I believe he suggested the Mobo( which BTW Thanks I love it!! ) but this is what the Dell system parts would cost you but Im sure the GigaByte MoBo is much much better than the crappy dell one you would get.

Also as it turns out I was installing a Black XP on a friends new Vaio Laptop that came with Vista on it. I formatted and installed Vista but I had a HELL of a time trying to find the drivers for it because the SONY support only has drivers for vista because it was shipped that way. There is a volume control on the side of the laptop keyboard that I could not find a driver for even with driver genius.So I imagine they only make the drivers for vist.

Not 100% relevant but I'm just saying be careful when you go from Vista to XP and make sure you can get the drivers for you components if you go the Dell route.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Damn while I was out looking up a system for this guy you posted one already!! Damn you Broken!!! Fuck it Im posting mine anyway. I went the Compared to Dell parts route though:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6850 (4MB L2 Cache,3.0GHz,1333 FSB) $279.99

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Digital Cable Support What!?

3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs $76.99 ($36.99 after $40.00 Mail-In Rebate)

320GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache $79.99

16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability $30.99

No Monitor

512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT $289.99

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
    OK so you will need a MoBo I'm gonna suggest this one as Someone suggested it to me and I love it

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard $99.99
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Grand Total $857.94

Im sure you have a Mouse, Keyboard and a monitor, If not you now have $340 to spend on new ones. Now I also figured you could keep you old case but you could surely upgrade it to a new snappy one. I suggest this one the Antec 900 Awesome cooling as it comes with a bunch of fans. Also it's my case This is just what I looked up on new egg and I'm sure others can find a better system with more research but I did this make up in 10 min so forgive me all if I made a mistake

The parts I found are as follows

Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

HDD Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write

EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Broken's System is better and I believe he suggested the Mobo( which BTW Thanks I love it!! ) but this is what the Dell system parts would cost you but Im sure the GigaByte MoBo is much much better than the crappy dell one you would get.

Also as it turns out I was installing a Black XP on a friends new Vaio Laptop that came with Vista on it. I formatted and installed Vista but I had a HELL of a time trying to find the drivers for it because the SONY support only has drivers for vista because it was shipped that way. There is a volume control on the side of the laptop keyboard that I could not find a driver for even with driver genius.So I imagine they only make the drivers for vist.

Not 100% relevant but I'm just saying be careful when you go from Vista to XP and make sure you can get the drivers for you components if you go the Dell route.
    wow, that is a detailed list. The parts selected look great and would save me a few hundred bucks. (need to factor in the shipping at newegg) I will prolly get better parts going this route then with dell and may face driver issues also. My brother in law recently got a dell and after major issus with vista put xp on his machine...I think he's got 1 item he couldn't find drivers for.

I can't remember if the cpu comes with the heatsink/fan or if I have to get one of those also.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    delete me
    Last edited by backlash; 01-04-2008 at 01:48 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    ughs - server issues
    Last edited by backlash; 01-04-2008 at 01:35 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by backlash View Post
    I can't remember if the cpu comes with the heatsink/fan or if I have to get one of those also.
    As long as you get a "retail" box (opposed to "OEM") you get the heatsink.
    Retail is the way to go anyway (even if you don't want the HSF) because the warranty is longer but the cost is typically only a few bucks higher.

Just to save some grief, I'd go with an aftermarket HS from the get-go.
    Especially with the 775 socket- which has the world's crankiest heatsink retention- it's much better to install the sink on the motherboard outside of the case- which you're going to do anyway, right?- so you can make sure it's seated properly.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    As long as you get a "retail" box (opposed to "OEM") you get the heatsink.
    Retail is the way to go anyway (even if you don't want the HSF) because the warranty is longer but the cost is typically only a few bucks higher.

Just to save some grief, I'd go with an aftermarket HS from the get-go.
    Especially with the 775 socket- which has the world's crankiest heatsink retention- it's much better to install the sink on the motherboard outside of the case- which you're going to do anyway, right?- so you can make sure it's seated properly.
    Yeah, I believe that's what I did last time. It's easier that way.

Now to decide when to get this thing.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Today.
    Retailers need your money.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Today.
    Retailers need your money.
    I want to, believe me. I just feel guilty since it was just the holidays and I have plenty of other expenses to worry about.

/me weeps

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast