Thread: Modems Adsl Or Overwise

*Grunt*
    I was curios which type of modem can give the best performance external or internal?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    internals are cheaper £25 but generally are winmodems which means they use your cpu to process data.

external ones are real stand alone modems so they should be a better option. I would also consider getting yourself a router/switch/modem combo for about £70 they give you the ability to expand in the future.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    would an external modem posibly make my conection faster? AT ALL?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    this is a great question. i was gonna ask it myself soon, considering adsl is coming in about a month.

i've heard external modems are better, but wouldn't mind some expert opinions
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    *Grunt*
    The trouble with external is that they often have to use USB which is slow.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Neo 721@27 July 2003 - 12:25
    The trouble with external is that they often have to use USB which is slow.
    usb1.1 is 13mbps (to the best of my knowledge), which is a whole lot faster than most broadband

usb2.0 is 480mpbs, so if your broadband is better than that, i&#39;ll eat my hat (residential broadband that is)
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    I wouldn&#39;t touch an internal winmodem with a bargepole - they take far too much processing power, but don&#39;t forget you will need (yet more) power for an external modem.

Internal adsl modems are hardware modems (at least I haven&#39;t seen any software ones), so they are just as good as external from that point of view.

There&#39;s absolutely no need to get a router if you&#39;ve only got one pc.

Even if you&#39;ve got more than one you can set one of them up to be a proxy server (if you know how to do it). It can be just as easy as configuring a router. Just make sure all the software you are using knows how to use a proxy server. It saves the cost of the hardware, and you only need one set of firewall software too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.