Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Format Hard-drive

Poster
    I currently have a 40 gig hard-drive partitioned into two 20 gigs and one has all my music and videos and games and the other has my windows xp and all that crap on it. I also have a 60 gig which I just put in and has nothing on it. I heard about this new file system thing called NFTS and was wondering if I should convert all 3 of my hard-drives to this new format becuz they all three are currently using FAT32 system. I heard that NFTS was not as fast but has better compresion. So I need to know whether or not I should convert them without any data loss?

Thanx Alot

Live by the sword, Die by the sword.
    We all seek peace, but few of us will ever find it.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    You can have one NTFS and the others FAT32 that is no problem, now about formatting i preffer FAT32 because one time i formatted my hole HDD in NTFS and then Xp got weird and one time i tried to enter Win XP and a Blue screen appeared (yes like the ones in 98) telling me that there was an error in a archive called NTFS.sys and when i tried to format via the WINXP installation disk the same blue screen appeared and i thought i losted my HDD but thanks to LINUX i got evrything running back to normal, so since that time i HATE NTFS

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Also when I try to defrag one of my hard-drives it says that no defragger is installed and when I check I come to find out that I must have deleted it. So now I am wondering what is the best defragger I can get off mIRC or Kazaa Lite?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Oh my God!

Sorry, I can't even begin here.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by volskid2002@27 July 2003 - 01:20
    I heard about this new file system thing called NFTS

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    THIS ONE IS FREE "HERE"

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Please don't post direct links. at least not without identifying what it is that's being linked to.
    Since you haven't figured it out yet, I suggest you use the edited link to educate yourself on the various file systems used.
    The only excuse for using any thing as unsecured and inefficient as fat32 in an XP environment would be to put your shares or archived files on for access between systems if you have a win9x/XP/NT multiple boot system.
    As for the third party "fix it all up" software, leave it alone untill you are experienced in using the tools and applications included in you operating system.
    It's not supposed to be a race to see how fast you can fill your drives with this crap.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    *Grunt*
    NTFS only works on a profesional o/s such NT/2000/XP pro anything else it would incompatible.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by volskid2002@27 July 2003 - 01:20
    has my windows xp and all that crap on it. I also have a 60 gig which I just put in and has nothing on it.
    I think you may be missing the context here Neo 721 . He in fact has XP installed.
    The question and the answer naturaly then revolve around that system.

And this explains why NTFS is essential to XP/NT systems >>

http://www.ntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=3455

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    alright thanx for all the help but is there any way i can get the defragger than came with xp pro back on my computer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast