Thread: Firewall Problem

what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Hi guys

hoping someone can help me with this one

I'm useing Nortons Personal Firewall and it seems to be that it is dissconnecting me alot.

Im useing Dial Up of course my isp should only log me out every 4 hrs but since Ive put the firewall on installed I seem to get disconecced about 2 hrs. when i disable the firewall its fine I don't get D/C at all.

so i know its the firewall giving me the problems.

anyon eknow any suggestions as to what to do or settings to solve my problem?

Otherwise Ill guess Ill just have to have no firewall at all

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Ditch Norton's firewall, and get Sygate Personal Firewall.

Small, easy to use, free, and just as powerfull. With Sygate you can create advanced rules for different programs, making it really customizable.

Try switching to Sygate, if you don't like it, switch back to Norton.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I can only echo the ditch norton.But i use Agnitum Outpost Pro and it is a great firewall.

So try a few different ones out as good alternatives to Norton around now.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I can only echo the ditch norton.But i use Agnitum Outpost Pro and it is a great firewall.

So try a few different ones out as good alternatives to Norton around now. 
    where can I grab that??

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Norton is a fine firewall. If you still want to use it here are some tips for making sure your connection dosent get dropped again.(the other firewalls mentioned
    are good ones also)

It's usualy the fault of idle connections.ISPs (mabey Windows depending on how its configured). constantly monitor your connection for line activity to see if there is data going over your connection.

If after a set time no activity they disconect you.
    The time limit varies depending on the ISP or your settings in
    Windows.
    Check and see if it your settings in Windows first.
    If you have Win9x/Me Go to My Computer>double click Dial Up Networking,right- click your dial-up connection icon,and click properties.
    Click Configure and choose the Connection Tab.

In Windows XP,Click Start>Control Panel> open Phone and Modem options, and select the modems tab. Click the name of your modem,click the Properties
    button, choose the Advanced Tab,and click Change Default Preferences.

If it's present,remove the check from the Disconnect A Call If Idle For More Than
    checkbox and click OK.

If thats not the problem try setting your email to get mail every three minutes.
    this should prevent your ISP from thinking you have stepped away.

If this dosent work try Gammadyne's freeware Connection Keeper to keep your connection alive. It works realy well.

I hope one of these suggestions work for you AD......oops I mean Hogster...LOL
    Wellcome back by the way.

Peace brotherdoobie

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Norton is a fine firewall. If you still want to use it here are some tips for making sure your connection dosent get dropped again.(the other firewalls mentioned
    are good ones also)

It's usualy the fault of idle connections.ISPs (mabey Windows depending on how its configured). constantly monitor your connection for line activity to see if there is data going over your connection.

If after a set time no activity they disconect you.
    The time limit varies depending on the ISP or your settings in
    Windows.
    Check and see if it your settings in Windows first.
    If you have Win9x/Me Go to My Computer>double click Dial Up Networking,right- click your dial-up connection icon,and click properties.
    Click Configure and choose the Connection Tab.

In Windows XP,Click Start>Control Panel> open Phone and Modem options, and select the modems tab. Click the name of your modem,click the Properties
    button, choose the Advanced Tab,and click Change Default Preferences.

If it's present,remove the check from the Disconnect A Call If Idle For More Than
    checkbox and click OK.

If thats not the problem try setting your email to get mail every three minutes.
    this should prevent your ISP from thinking you have stepped away.

If this dosent work try Gammadyne's freeware Connection Keeper to keep your connection alive. It works realy well.

I hope one of these suggestions work for you AD......oops I mean Hogster...LOL 
    Wellcome back by the way.

Peace brotherdoobie
    thanks for the tips brother

problem is its not my ISP thats caursing me the problems becaeu I can be idle forever and it down't D/C me it only happens when the firewall is turned on. but when disabled I dont get D/C