Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning Songs

Poster
    is it possable to put a cassete tape on the computer (or on a CD) I have some great songs but they are all on cassetts

2. Music   -   #2
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    if your computer is hooked up to your stereo reciever you should be able to
    Im quoting HeavyMetalParkingLot here...so don't get up me if it doesn't work...

3. Music   -   #3
    Poster
    how do I get ny stereo hooked up to my computer? Do I need a specail kind a wire or what?

4. Music   -   #4
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Originally posted by brynasmith@28 July 2003 - 02:27
    how do I get ny stereo hooked up to my computer? Do I need a specail kind a wire or what?
    Im guessing so...im not quite sure though...i would be interested to hear the responses though...

5. Music   -   #5
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Hook your computer up to your stereo

Connect the 1/8-inch mini-jack end to your sound card's line-out jack and connect the two RCA adapters to your stereo. Depending on your stereo you may have to use an auxiliary channel. It doesn't really matter what channel you use as long as it's not the tape or phono (yes, records, remember those things?) channels.

Fire up an MP3 player or CD on your PC, turn on your stereo (make sure you have the correct output channel selected), and pump up the volume. You should now be playing tunes from your PC through your stereo speakers. It's that easy.

Going digital

If you want to get really fancy (and have the right hardware), you can also connect your PC and stereo with a digital audio connection. You'll need two things:

A sound card with a digital S/PDIF output;
    An A/V receiver with, you guessed it, an S/PDIF input.

The output from the sound card can either be an optical TOS connection or a coaxial connection with an RCA-style plug or 1/8-inch mini-jack. Most popular sound cards, including the Creative SoundBlaster Series starting with Live!, include a 1/8-inch S/PDIF output connection. Any decent A/V surround sound receiver should include both types of connectors.

Connect the two optically or with a coaxial cable.
    Set your PC's output and A/V receiver's input to S/PDIF.

The receiver does all the processing, resulting in a cleaner sound from your speakers. Of course, if your speakers and receiver are sub-par quality, you probably won't notice any improvement.

Long-distance hook-up

If your PC and stereo aren't located in the same room, you have a couple options.

Pick up additional stereo RCA-to-RCA cabling in 36-feet increments.
    Invest in an audio/video sender such as the $99.99 RadioShack 2.4-GHz Wireless Room-to-Room Audio/Video Sender. It delivers high-quality audio/video signals up to 100 feet.

With the A/V Sender, you can send data other than just sound. We used the A/V Sender to broadcast a DVD movie from our office to another TV about 60 feet away. The TV receiving the video and audio signal looked great and had limited interference. One thing to keep in mind is that many cordless phones operate in this frequency range. Expect some interference when receiving phone calls if you own a cordless phone that uses the 2.4-GHz frequency.

6. Music   -   #6
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Are people still using cassettes out there? Either buy the music on CD, or download it from Kazaa. Converting from cassette to CD will most like give you results that you won't be happy with.
    Proud member of MDS

7. Music   -   #7
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    There's a lot of music out there that isn't available on CD or on Kazaa. I recently put a few jungle tapes onto CD, and was very impressed with the quality.

HMPL was talking about computer to cassette, whereas I think this guy wants to go cassette to CD.

First off you need a cassette player with some kind of audio out (headphone socket is fine). You then need to hook up the headphone socket on the tape player to the line in on your computer. Then open a program like Cool Edit Pro (though I'm sure there's some freeware wave recorders out there), press play on the cassette and record on Cool Edit Pro. If you have a level monitor make sure the input isn't going into the red - your best bet is to record a minute or so then check it to see the quality.

After this you'll have a wave file which you can record directly onto CD or you can do what I did, which is to convert that .wav to .mp3 (using dBPowerAmp) and then use an mp3 splitter to break it down into tracks. I then recorded to CD from there while keeping the mp3s on my computer. Good luck mate

Ask again or PM me if you need a bit more detail.

8. Music   -   #8
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    play around with it, and you can get it to go both ways

9. Music   -   #9
    Poster
    thank you guys sooo much I needed to know how to take from cassette to Cd but the rest of it was very interesting too. Thanks!

10. Music   -   #10
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Jeez wouldn't that be s** quality?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast