Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.5 tb hard drives

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by DKre8ive1 View Post
    I wonder how much space you would lose on a 2TB drive well you don't really lose anything, but by the way they label drives it does feel like you lose some space.
    The difference is roughly 7% so a 2TB drive would format to @1860GB.

Quote Originally Posted by DKre8ive1 View Post
    ...this makes me wonder if they will ever change there labeling process, since that would seem like a big difference to a person that is not computer savvy and probably end up pissing off the customer.

Disgruntled customer = bad for business.
    Seagate recently lost a class action suit over this very issue but it seems like a tempest in a teapot to me.
    Most people who are ignorant of the difference in labeling conventions are also unable to find the "properties" tab in My Computer, so they never know what size HDD they have anyway.

Besides, the time to get irate over a few missing GBs was five years ago when the average HDD was maybe 20GB total and the per GB cost was much higher.
    Nowadays, with cheap giant drives being the norm, a few gigs one way or the other is no big deal.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    I'd rather have smaller drives equalling 1.5 TB than one alone.

It's too much to lose if the hard drive fails.

Also I don't see SSDs replacing HDDs anytime soon due to cost and drive size. HHDs are the next step since they use current hard drive tech along with flash memory. Current hard drives last a decent amount of time but a hybrid saves the platters from spinning as much and they use less power.

Even hybrid drives are kind of expensive right now so I don't see SSDs making mass headway into folks homes for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by lee551 View Post
    very nice. hopefully in 5 more years i can order a tb ssd off newegg for 100 bones.
    Dream on.......
    Last edited by Busyman™; 01-20-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Also I don't see SSDs replacing HDDs anytime soon due to cost and drive size.
    Wanna bet?
    SSDs have three major things going for them that will soon render mechanical (even hybrid ) drives obsolete:

-Physical size
    -Low power consumption and heat signature
    -Practical immunity from physical shock

All three benefits are directly applicable to laptops and laptops will dominate the future market and thus, the hardware requirements.

Cost is of no consequence whatsoever- look at the current price structure of RAM (DDR2 is absurdly cheap)- as it's only a function of production facilities and they've been ramping up tremendously. Major memory makers have actually curtailed production in an effort to stabilize prices and profits (think diamonds and DeBeers here...).

Again, I ask you to look at the history of HDDs...five years ago SATA was an exotic and expensive technology and now the world's largest drive maker (Seagate) has dropped PATA drives altogether and SATA is ubiquitous.

SSDs will (I believe) follow the exact same adoption path...maybe even faster.
    It's simply too good a technology not to succeed and , unlike many other advances...like SLI, for instance, it solves problems for a very wide spectrum of users.

As long as I'm proselytizing... I also think the obsession with giant storage capabilities on personal computers is soon to end.
    With the increasing spread of web based apps/storage, why would you need to carry all that data on your machine?
    Hit the web, stream what you want and then move on...no need to actually have it on your hard drive.

Google probably will rule the Earth, sooner rather than later.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    OXO's Avatar Time is Money BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    haha i do not have HD 1.5 tb loool
    I LoVe Be MeMbEr In FsT
    I HoPe I FiNeD A TrUe FrIeNd HeRe

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Also I don't see SSDs replacing HDDs anytime soon due to cost and drive size.
    Wanna bet?
    SSDs have three major things going for them that will soon render mechanical (even hybrid ) drives obsolete:

-Physical size
    -Low power consumption and heat signature
    -Practical immunity from physical shock

All three benefits are directly applicable to laptops and laptops will dominate the future market and thus, the hardware requirements.

Cost is of no consequence whatsoever- look at the current price structure of RAM (DDR2 is absurdly cheap)- as it's only a function of production facilities and they've been ramping up tremendously. Major memory makers have actually curtailed production in an effort to stabilize prices and profits (think diamonds and DeBeers here...).

Again, I ask you to look at the history of HDDs...five years ago SATA was an exotic and expensive technology and now the world's largest drive maker (Seagate) has dropped PATA drives altogether and SATA is ubiquitous.

SSDs will (I believe) follow the exact same adoption path...maybe even faster.
    It's simply too good a technology not to succeed and , unlike many other advances...like SLI, for instance, it solves problems for a very wide spectrum of users.

As long as I'm proselytizing... I also think the obsession with giant storage capabilities on personal computers is soon to end.
    With the increasing spread of web based apps/storage, why would you need to carry all that data on your machine?
    Hit the web, stream what you want and then move on...no need to actually have it on your hard drive.

Google probably will rule the Earth, sooner rather than later.
    You just named the pros.

Tell everyone the cons.

Also web-based apps/storage has been around for awhile now with masses still not biting.

There many that are not comfortable with off-site storage (including myself).

Hell I have a computer that I never connect to the web due to security concerns (it's an intellectual property typa thang).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    You just named the pros.

Tell everyone the cons.

Why don't you enumerate the cons...I can't think of any offhand.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    You just named the pros.

Tell everyone the cons.

Yeah sure ya can't.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Yeah sure ya can't.
    Well, let's see.
    SSDs have:
    -smaller size
    -lower power consumption
    -less heat
    -higher MTBF
    -no noise
    -faster seek and more consistent read/write speed
    -higher shock resistance

Right now, the only downsides I can think of are price (which will fall) and size (which will increase)- although this current situation reminds me of Raptors from a few years ago or the more recent iRAM- both of which solutions I tried and loved.

So, Busy, unless you just want to appear cryptically superior, why don't you tell us what the big objections are?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    I for one would love to see solid state become the standard.
    Like I said in another post in this thread. With a solid state drive, RAM becomes unnecessary. Because, basically the entire hard drive is RAM. It would be awesome to have the entire drive ready all the time. The performance would be amazing.

But I'm very pessimistic about the entire idea. Just because a technology is superior doesn't guarantee it's acceptance, at least not in the near term. Especially when it requires a totally new technological concept.

For the foreseeable future, I think hybrid drives will rule the market.
    I also believe it will be a long transition into full SS.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    krunktastic's Avatar Krunk User+ BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I'd rather have smaller drives equalling 1.5 TB than one alone.

It's too much to lose if the hard drive fails.

Also I don't see SSDs replacing HDDs anytime soon due to cost and drive size. HHDs are the next step since they use current hard drive tech along with flash memory. Current hard drives last a decent amount of time but a hybrid saves the platters from spinning as much and they use less power.

Even hybrid drives are kind of expensive right now so I don't see SSDs making mass headway into folks homes for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by lee551 View Post
    very nice. hopefully in 5 more years i can order a tb ssd off newegg for 100 bones.
    Dream on.......
    Definitely agree. Considering the fail rate of the newer 1tb drives, which mind you isn't that bad, but could be improved, I would be apprehensive to have all my data accumulated on one drive. Several other drives would seem more reasonable, and nowadays the cost per GB is cheapest at around 500GB.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast