Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 tb hard drives

matt526's Avatar Poster
    http://www.apple.com/macbookair/features.html
    Apple MacBook Air can be shipped with a 64GB SSD for
    only $3,098.00

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    it's not about how quickly the technology comes out. it's about how quickly the market bites it. price will only drop significantly if a significant portion of the market decides to take the plunge and make the conversion.

new technology always takes a while before the masses become wellinformed enough, and tbh the majority of the globe isn't exactly computer savy. take for example ddr3 ram. it's been out for awhile now, but the prices are still ridiculous. why? because noone needs them. and when noone needs them, nobody buys them at those prices, and so prices don't fall, so even fewer people buy them.

to wait for the price for solid state drives to match up to harddrives would take quite some time, because harddrives won't just stop at where it's at now. you might have 2TB/3TB stable harddrives out by the time 250GB solid state becomes affordable.

also, when you mentioned 5 years before, clocker, yes it's true. but then 5 years is a long time. you'll probbaly have changed 2 or 3 rigs by then. so i wouldn't say 5 years is "the near future", which is when u're claiming solid state drives will go mainstream.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by athenaesword View Post
    it's not about how quickly the technology comes out. it's about how quickly the market bites it. price will only drop significantly if a significant portion of the market decides to take the plunge
    If by "market" you mean "OEMs" then yes, I agree.
    They will jump on this technology fast and hard which will drive down the price quickly.

I'll bet we'll be able to buy a 120GB SSD for under $200 within 18 months.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    sumvell's Avatar Poster
    Just a thought!!! Will usb3.0 accelarate the development of bigger SSDs? I mean the transfer speed of usb3.0 is reportedly more than the PCI slot?
    The early bird gets the worm. But the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    No, SSDs are SATAII which is even faster.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I know one BIG con which makes me weary. Solid State Drives have data writing limits where HDDs have virtually none. Isn't the max number of writes like 500,000? Seems to be among the major cons for this technology.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    200bucks for 120 is really expensive imo. i mean if ure using with with a desktop, what're the chances of having it bang around and being damaged, which is the primary advantage of ssds anyway. that's why flash audio players are so popular, because they might actually be susceptible to that kind of abuse, unlike harddrives.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    200bucks for 120 is really expensive imo. i mean if ure using with with a desktop, what're the chances of having it bang around and being damaged, which is the primary advantage of ssds anyway.
    I consider the primary advantage of SSDs to be the speed, not the durability.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    DyNast's Avatar What's My Age Again? BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    My 120GB look lamer then ever

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    200bucks for 120 is really expensive imo. i mean if ure using with with a desktop, what're the chances of having it bang around and being damaged, which is the primary advantage of ssds anyway.
    I consider the primary advantage of SSDs to be the speed, not the durability.
    They're slower with random writes than HDDs.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast