Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Quick question: Have torrenter become lazy?

Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by DV8type View Post
    Have torrenters become lazy? Does loyalty and dedication exist anymore?
    Loyalty and dedication exist in users new and old. Mostly not at FST though...
    Now go away.

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    I see brand spanking new FST accounts (~1mo old) with under 50 post requesting top level trackers
    i guess you have your answer there .

new members dont really know the value of sharing and community ,i guess tey will learn soon that levels dont matter ,and why its important to share and they will also appreciate the efforts of uploaders ,

they are dumb now . just needs time to grow up i guess

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    Most members arent loyal to the site. Even Torrentbits members would massively delete their account and create new ones so they could continue leeching.

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    2 Million Ways BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by disconny View Post
    DV8type I'm waiting for you to beg me to join FSC.
    hahahahahahahhahahah =))))) =]]]]]] lol

nice one )

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Attitudes don't change... It is just the times that change.

Going back to 2003, I can remember sending warnings to members who had failed to keep a reasonable ratio (0.50), with the message that if they didn't get their ratio back to 0.50, then they would lose their account.

One of three things would happen...

1)... The member would delete their account, then sign up again using another email address. If their IP was static, I would find them and disable them, but there was no way to monitor those with dynamic IPs.

2)... The member would seed back to exactly 0.50, then stop. The next time their ratio dipped below 0.50, I would disable, as I would know they were taking the piss out of me.

3)... The member would seed past 0.50 and create a healthy buffer. On many occasions, the member would seed until they gained power user status. I have even received PMs from members thanking me for my short sharp shock (complacency is habit forming).

There are worthy members around today that were die-hard leechers three or four years ago. Some of them even staff many of the sites you are members at.

Basically, we can break behaviour down into three distinct categories...

1)... Does not value the account at all. Considers a torrent account as a disposable asset.

2)... Gives the bare minimum to keep the account active. Does not feel any compunction to help others. Doesn't want to lose account, but will lose no sleep if they do.

3)... Values the account and will do everything in their power to ensure they retain that account. Will only dispose of the account in a dire situation (falling out with staff etc.).

So, we go from the extreme negative to the neutral to the extreme positive. There are shades of grey in this, but I've outlined the three main attitudes towards accounts, and torrent site in particular.

As I said, attitudes don't change, it is just the times. These days, most sites aren't open sign ups, so it is not a simple matter of deleting the first account and opening a second account. These days, it's a matter of deleting the first account, then scamming a second account out of someone else.

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    FSC [Fight Club] BT Rep: +2
    So at some point youth comes in to play? Should there be an age requirement at trackers? Greed + Youth = Bad User?

=>The issue that i have is the fact that for most of the world, trackers do something that is considered illegal (personal/philosophical beliefs aside). Yet at FST, users who have no respect towards trackers, expect/demand to get into any tracker they want indiscriminately. Half of whom actually get invited. Tracker staff necks are on the line (regardless of lvl), yet i still see daily posts whining about free leech, ratio rules, invite rules, etc. Is that disrespectful?

Should FST (a leader in the discussion of torrents) have some moral responsibility to its good users to keep them safe? To educate its users?

As per my comment on new trackers.....im just wondering why great members choose to create a new tracker instead of putting more effort into an already existing tracker? Does greed come into play? power? Do they think they can run a better tracker? Are they bringing something new to the game?
    Proud Member of:

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    yoyogi4's Avatar Wanna see my BooBoo? BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Mostly greed power and a sense of respect I suppose. If they can lead in a site where they don't have someone breathing on their necks (reprimanding) or telling them what not to do then they will be glad to take the effort to start a site.

Some ppl after a while in torrenting want to be respected users in any site they go to with certain privileges, hence they get the same name on every tracker.

Some are Utilitarian users that don't care what tracker they're in just as long as they're fast and offer what they look for, yet these users are not seen in forums or IRC unless there's a problem.

Others are forum posters who post 50 posts on the same day they start just to be known, oh and I forgot, they get a higly intricate avatar for ppl to swoon at.

THis is why I respect those that achieved a balance of using the tracker and being an active poster but not over active and with a simple cute avatar, why because it ain't that serious, in high or good trackers many of the users in the forums are in other high level trackers also, correction MOST are in the same forums.
    ///EDIT: I'm Back!! (Thanks for the headup !!)

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    pandabear's Avatar Internet BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by whitmar View Post
    I appreciate the experienced FST members sharing their broad views here, based on the observation of evolving trends over a prolonged period of time. There is obviously no easy answer to these problems. Pandabear, thanks for showing me those rules from FTN. They are much more explicit than those shown in the WTAW thread. In fact, I see so much of that prohibited behavior in the invites section, I'm surprised there haven't been massive bans of FTN members. (Maybe there have been--I'm not in a position to know.) So I'm still a little confused. I know most tracker staffs have a presence here, and can see their own rules being frequently broken. What is their overall attitude toward this behavior?
    Actually it was alot of diff sites rules. In order, ftn, sct, scc, bitmetv, st. In terms of alck of banning, its because the staff are too nice at times, just handing out warning or chances when people break these kinds of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by DV8type View Post
    Should FST (a leader in the discussion of torrents) have some moral responsibility to its good users to keep them safe? To educate its users?
    I think you are overplaying the effect fst has on torrent sites and their users.
    Last edited by pandabear; 01-11-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Someone invite me to fsc please

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    I started off on tracker invites (TI) and the board was kept a lot more respectful of trackers. It wasn't perfect by any means but it's rules not to trade or break any tracker rules were instilled in me right from when i signed up with my demonoid invites. All giveaways/taken invites were recorded and if any one got banned on a tracker they were also banned from the site. In the end they only had 3 levels, low, medium, and high, along with a nicely run request section for sites that don't allow giveaways. Their stats along with forum posts made it easy to determine good members and it really worked well (with the tracker rep's here could work even better.)I know it would be hard to come up with a similar system that could be handled on a site this big and what I say would involve privacy of FST's users but this site could obviously do more for trackers if it wanted.
    Last edited by Sputnik; 01-11-2008 at 08:59 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345