Thread: oem software

sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Over the years i have used oem software without any problems as well as hardware.

Now i wanted to purchase office 2007 oem every computer shop i have phoned has told me that i can't install the software because it will not work on my machine unless i have a pre installed version on my computer or my machine has to be brand new.

If i have the disk why would i have this problem ?

Are they lieing to me ? they tryed to get me to take my machine into the shop and they install it for me at the same price as what the disk costs £200.

At the end of the day they are telling me i have no chance to have a working copy on my current machine what i wanted to know is are they just trying to squeeze money out of me. I don't have £600 for a pc world copy
    Last edited by sleepyy; 01-24-2008 at 05:04 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Due to the eula when you bought your computer with oem version. Could only be licensed to one computer at a time. The 2007 edition i believe. Why do you want the retail version anyways?

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    sleepyy's Avatar Old-Fashioned BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    I want an oem version because it's cheap i built the computer and it runs on an oem xp and has no pre installed software also it's two year's old and the shop owners are telling me that i can't buy an oem version because they can't sell it to the general public which i know about and understand still they want me to take my computer into the shop and they will install it for me on my machine for £200 but it will not include a disk and it will be an oem version.

If i purchased a proper disk for £200 which would be an oem version would it work? i am just a little paranoid because of what they said even though i don't believe them. If i came home and found it not to work i could not get my money back this is why i would rather get a second opinion.

Retail is £500 in pc world

so at the moment i'm quite lost with what to do i have searched on ebay but i'm also scared to get some strange language version or a just a copy for a three digit figure because it has happend to me before with software on ebay and it's really not worth the trouble
    Last edited by sleepyy; 01-24-2008 at 08:10 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyy View Post
    I want an oem version because it's cheap i built the computer and it runs on an oem xp and has no pre installed software also it's two year's old and the shop owners are telling me that i can't buy an oem version because they can't sell it to the general public which i know about and understand still they want me to take my computer into the shop and they will install it for me on my machine for £200 but it will not include a disk and it will be an oem version.

If i purchased a proper disk for £200 which would be an oem version would it work? i am just a little paranoid because of what they said even though i don't believe them. If i came home and found it not to work i could not get my money back this is why i would rather get a second opinion.

Retail is £500 in pc world

so at the moment i'm quite lost with what to do i have searched on ebay but i'm also scared to get some strange language version or a just a copy for a three digit figure because it has happend to me before with software on ebay and it's really not worth the trouble
    Yes it would. Just do a clean install (Format HDD)and use certain activation software or the number supplied with your bought oem disk. Yea oem's could only be installed by a retailer on the spot unless you go buy one from a computer wholesaler store like Microcenter (i have one in my area). That will cut out the middleman. Yes it's possible to do it without them.
    Last edited by grimms; 01-25-2008 at 01:49 AM.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!