Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trouble formating new hardrive

just recieved my new western digital cavier external hd and am now trying to format the drive. i right click the disk icon in my comp and choose ntfs the drive is currently fat32. the drive begins to format but after three quarters of the way it seems to stop and no progress is made. any1 no why this is? any help appriecated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    It should be simple, sound like you are doing it right.
    But, lets trying actually going into windows disk managment utility and doing it. Maybe it'll work better for you.

Do this by right clicking on 'My Computer', then choosing 'Manage' and 'Disk
    Management'. Then choose the drive. Click on the gray field on the left side to initialize the drive or click on the empty field on the right side to create a partition.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    You are saying it's a WD caviar I imagine it's a My Book right? If so they have a Support site that you can get their disk management tools like the WD button manager and stuff you could also try that if Broken's suggestion doesn't work

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    thanks for the replies, i tried again this time the format fully completed but said windows could not format hardrive any idea why?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    thanks for the replies, i tried again this time the format fully completed but said windows could not format hardrive any idea why?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    thanks for the replies, i tried again formatting and this time it fully completed, however said that windows could not format drive any ideas why?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    thanks for the replies, i tried again formatting and this time it fully completed, however said that windows could not format drive any ideas why?

sorry about the multiple posts. i seem to have lost the drive completely now, its not present in my comp.

i am in a real mess now, i accidently deleted usb mass storage device in device manager how do i get this back, all my removable drives hav gone from my comp. plz help.
    Last edited by krish123; 01-13-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    What kind of computer do you have?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    its a acer aspire t120e-f870 any help on this appriecated. i think i have made a big error in deleting usb storage manage i hope i can get it bak

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Try plugging the new drive into another computer and see if it works.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast