Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BitTorrent Dictionary (By a noob, for noobs!)

If you're serious about making a new dictionary, you need to include terms like DHT, Availability, Tracker Updates, Banned Clients (A general definition of why clients are sometimes banned). I'd also recommend defining Peerguardian, Private tracker versus Public. Freeleech, Donations (might be too obvious, not sure), user ranks (user, power user, etc), Sysop, gazelle, hydra. Perhaps include definitions of some of the more... notorious public trackers, and private (although, keep descriptions of current ones minimal).

I'm sure there's a ton I'm forgetting... but it's 3 am in the morning, so you'll have to excuse me.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    BANNED
    Well, this thread was useless as what posted here is common sense. Anyone who have never used torrent would still have basic concept of torrent from common terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble here but it's been Done already.
    ^ Other note LOL now that was funny.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    rvt's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Definite View Post
    Scrape: When your client sends a request to the tracking server, asking for info on the torrent like who to share the file with and how well those other users are sharing.

This part needs a major correction.

1) Announce is what tells you who to connect to. Scrape doesn't.

2) Scrape does not return any info about individual peers at all. It returns only the number of peers/seeds/completed for either the torrents requested using the info_hash parameter (can be repeated multiple times) or for all tracked torrents when no info_hash is defined.

3) Even announce does not tell you anything about how well anyone is sharing. Announce will only give you their IP, port and possibly peer_id. It is then up to your client to work out the rest.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by rvt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Definite View Post
    Scrape: When your client sends a request to the tracking server, asking for info on the torrent like who to share the file with and how well those other users are sharing.

This part needs a major correction.

1) Announce is what tells you who to connect to. Scrape doesn't.

2) Scrape does not return any info about individual peers at all. It returns only the number of peers/seeds/completed for either the torrents requested using the info_hash parameter (can be repeated multiple times) or for all tracked torrents when no info_hash is defined.

3) Even announce does not tell you anything about how well anyone is sharing. Announce will only give you their IP, port and possibly peer_id. It is then up to your client to work out the rest.
    lol that would be great for a BitTorrent Dictionary for noobs
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In the old days, if you misbehaved on a tracker, you got disabled, or worse, IP banned.

Nowadays, there are more trackers than there are members, so if your tracker misbehaves, they get bookmark removed, or worse, URL deleted.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperNode View Post
    Well, this thread was useless as what posted here is common sense. Anyone who have never used torrent would still have basic concept of torrent from common terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    I hate to burst your bubble here but it's been Done already.
    ^ Other note LOL now that was funny.
    People new to bittorrent will not understand most of the terminology; I was there not too long ago. (I thought client = customer = the person you get file from lol)
    An other example: i wanted to learn more about newsgroup. Where do I go? To the newsgroup forum FST. I read the threads and don't understand what those guys were talking. I don't even want to ask questions because I don't even know how. I have to start reading the NewsGroups Guide For Newsleecher, and that too is not an easy read.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    share for better
    wht about invites thing

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Giveaway's Avatar Senior Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Swarm: A group of users (seeders and leechers) connected to each other, sharing the same torrent. Like the super friends, only without the crime fighting. For exampke, if your bittorrent client tells you that you're connected to 6 peers and 2 seeds, your swarm is made up of you and those 8 other people.

thanks for these 2 definitions.
    i didnt know what they meant.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    VIZFX's Avatar Looking at You! BT Rep: +2
    Good stuff, thanks for taking the time

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Definite's Avatar RAWK BT Rep: +1
    I added a few more terms, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm still trying to keep the definitions simple and easy to understand.

Apparently I defined "scrape" wrong, can someone offer a more correct and simple definition? Again, thanks for the help.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Debate is overrated BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Way to go Definite. Keep up the good work. Funny definitions

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast