Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to spread heat compound

Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!

Question Mark

Hi, i get my new CPU and Heatsink tomorrow. Ive never tried anything like this before i have checked and triple check that everything fits and so forth, but im not sure when it comes to the heat compound between the CPU and the heatsink how to spread it. If someone could give me a clue that would be great.
    Dan

My name is Dan for the people who care!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Depends on the situation.

Some heatsinks (primarily the OEMs but nowadays, some of the aftermarket) come with a patch of compound already applied.
    Remove the protective plastic cover and install.

If your heatsink comes bare, there are two methods of applying the compound.

-Apply a rice grain size dab of paste in the middle of the chip, then install the sink. The mounting pressure will distribute the paste evenly.

-Apply a dab of paste on the chip and then use a razor blade or the side of a credit card to evenly spread a thin film over the entire surface of the CPU.
    Install the heatsink.

I've used both methods and think it depends on the consistency of your compound.
    With Arctic Silver 5- which is very stiff and thick- I prefer method #2.
    Thinner pastes- like Ceramique- work well with method #1.

If you're unsure, try either method and run the PC for a day or two.
    The heat cycling will help thin/spread the paste.
    Remove the sink and see what kind of coverage you were getting.
    If you have a full impression of the CPU heatspreader on the bottom of the sink, you were fine.

If not, you either need more paste or a different application method.
    Or both.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    If you've never done it before, as said above, the heatsink will probably come with a thermal compound already pre-applied to it. If you are using the stock heatsink, I would recommend using the stock thermal compound.

I know people will say "stock compound is garbage!!", but it is important to remember that it's what the manufacture has determined is necessary to cool the CPU. They will say after-market solutions are "SOOOOO much better!". But in reality, the difference is negligible.

The most important thing is installing the heatsink properly to the processor. The newer Intel heatsinks with the pins are a little different, and I find people often miss install them and cause overheating. Just remember, push the pin all the way through the Mobo and it will pop out the underside. Turning the nob will release it from the Mobo. That it... believe it or not people mess that up a lot.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The s775 retention system is the absolute pits.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Honestly I am no Guru like Clocker but I myself have noticed a considerable difference in temps between stock and Arctic Silver 5, Like 10+ degrees difference.

Also please remember if it does have stock compound on it for the love of god remove the plastic cover.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Lol cheers fellas the CPU that im getting doesnt come with a fan lol it couldnt have been more clearer when i bought it off the site:p So yerr i had to get the blue orb II which i hear i very big:s

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    The TT Blue Orb (which is a knockoff of the Zalman CNPS7700) does not come with thermal paste preapplied, so you'll have to do it yourself.
    Presumably, they include some in the packaging.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    optimus_prime's Avatar Guardian BT Rep: +2
    people tend to over-apply paste, that's the fact
    i spread paste with piece of paper on heatsink approximately where the cpu will be, filling all the tiny gaps as those are your targets. i also add hair thin layer on cpu. keep in mind paste is basically an insulator compared to metal so you want it in all those micro gaps where air would be without ruining your metal-to-metal contact.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Well ive done it, everything seems to be working alright. The heat sink was a bastard to fit i spent 30-45 minutes trying to fit it. it just would fit cos the springs are so strong:s Cpu fitted like a dream and so did the ram thanks for all your help.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Honestly I am no Guru like Clocker but I myself have noticed a considerable difference in temps between stock and Arctic Silver 5, Like 10+ degrees difference.

Also please remember if it does have stock compound on it for the love of god remove the plastic cover.
    You shouldn't of had that kind of difference. Maybe 4 degrees C is normal.
    I'm thinking that maybe it was just a matter of re-seating the heatsink. That is, unless you where not using the heatsink/compound from AMD/Intel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast