Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help finding ebook

Actually I had posted a similar thread for this ebook. But it now seems lost. I cannot figure out the reason. I posted it on 9th May'11. There were a few replies which I checked yesterday. But now the thread is nowhere to be found. Hence I am writing a new one. Please help me download the ebook "Who is fourier: A Mathematical Adventure from Usenet.nl. I googled the title and found the a number of websites having the same link:
    http://ebookee.org/Who-is-Fourier-A-...re_179843.html

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    newsgroupie
    There were many responses (and I wrote a very long detailed reply which I won't repeat a second time)

I assume the thread was deleted because the post included a book title (a no-no on many forum sites) and the moderator was probably in a hurry or too lazy to simply edit out the title (which takes a few more keystrokes to accomplish compared to deleting it entirely).

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    u dun goofed; its not on usenet. its an ad.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    newsgroupie
    That link leads to Usenet.NL - which is the same company as UseneXT. It's a well-known scam. They're notorious liars out to steal your money. Don't take the bait. That title does not exist on usenet at all.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Said it in the other thread which is gone, and I'll say it again, book sells for less then $8 on some sites. Just buy it and save the time. I couldn't find it anywhere at all.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Thank you for alerting me. I shall stay away from that website. Tokeman the only website (I could find) selling this book was Amazon. It costs around $24 there. I am from India which means that if I order it from amazon the shipping cost will be much higher than the selling price (approx $50 plus). Moreover their delivery network is very unreliable in India. There is an indian website which sells the book (again costing $50 plus).

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    newsgroupie
    Your odds of finding a non-bestselling/non-computer-oriented book published in 1995 being shared on the internet is maybe one in a million.

Think about it for a moment. Someone would have to buy the book, cut all the pages out, scan each one, OCR the scanned images, proofread for 'typos' - and then create a PDF or CHM file.

Even if only raw JPG images are released, that still is a lot of work - not to mention destroying the book in the process.

I suggest asking your local public library to try to locate a copy for you (you might have to travel to another city) or even consider ordering the book, as it seems exactly the kind of book any library would want on the shelves.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    Your odds of finding a non-bestselling/non-computer-oriented book published in 1995 being shared on the internet is maybe one in a million.

Think about it for a moment. Someone would have to buy the book, cut all the pages out, scan each one, OCR the scanned images, proofread for 'typos' - and then create a PDF or CHM file.

Even if only raw JPG images are released, that still is a lot of work - not to mention destroying the book in the process.

I suggest asking your local public library to try to locate a copy for you (you might have to travel to another city) or even consider ordering the book, as it seems exactly the kind of book any library would want on the shelves.
    That'd be crazy amount of work... and not how it's usually done. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_scanning

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I agree zot and heiska. But after failing to find this book, I searched for an alternative book Fourier Analysis and its Applications and I found a 1992 edition of this book. All the pages appear to have been scanned. I understand the logic you are proposing and i am not denying it. In the past I have come across books which were discontinued as early as 1988. However their scanned pdf ebooks float around on internet. This makes me wonder about what makes a book worth degitizing. If you say the volume of sales or popularity, then I have also come across books which were too domain specific to gurantee high sales.
    Heiska, I read the wikipedia article about book scanning. It has links to projects like Project Gutenberg, Google Book Search, and the Open Content Alliance that scan books on a large scale (including old ones).
    I am not trying to justify my search for the ebook version. But I feel that such classics should be made available on the internet.
    BTW I am going to visit a few libraries for this book.
    Thank you for your replies.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    fann's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    ask request in some torrent sites hey will fill you within a week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast