Thread: A Few Questions

Poster
    Hey

I have 2 partitions C: and D:, C: containg XP Office etc, D: containg all users documents music pics etc. D: also has all the softtware i have installed. So -

1) Formatting C: and reinstalling XP will not touch data on D: right?

2) I will need to reinstall all Software on D: as the Registry will be blown right?

3) How do i save all user's Favorites and also how do i save all the emails we have recieved on Outlook Express?

Any help appreciated

Dave

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    1. Yes, that's right
    2. Some programs will probably still work, but you would have to go into the programs folder and create a shortcut for the .exe and place it on in the start menu or where ever you want it.
    3. I think all browsers allow you to export your favourites and save as a file, then you can import them back(should be in the file menu).I don't use outlook express, so don't know about that.

I sure someone will give you more detailed answers, probably before I've posted this knowing my luck

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    1) Yes.
    2) Yes. I think mostly you will.
    3) Copy your favourites folder to your hard drives second partition.

On the matter of your email messages. Why not use some initiative.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    None of your saved programs wiil be in the registry of your new OS so saving just the program files may make a lot of them useless unless you also export and save all registry entries and .dll's, etc.
    Plus, if there are any problems with those programs, they will be carried over.
    Start clean, then you know what you have.
    Documents and settings can be migrated, favorites can be exported, mail can be forwarded back to you.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Thanks Guys

When i got XP i moved my docs to d: for all users so that shouldnt be a prob, and the registry is where my problems start so i might start fresh! www.cnet.com here i come!

Cheers

Dave