Thread: I need to Uninstall Zone Alarm completely

Hi Guys

I have used Zone Alarm and want to uninstall it completely so that I can do a clean re-install.

But when I uninstall it using Control Panel it seems to leave some data on my machine so that when I re-install it, it picks up my previous configuration.

I want to completely uninstall it !

I have checked out their web site and it mentions doing a Clean Uninstall ! (what a stupid term) if you uninstall a program it should uninstall itself !

Anyway all the info on this subject points to very complicated procedures which just confirms in my mind how much this app sucks !

Does anyone know an easy way to remove these previous settings ?

regards

Digby

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Uninstall it thru add remove then search for the folder in c:\ program files , delete that then run a regcleaner .

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Just as an aside, I've been using Online Armor on my laptop since I installed XP Black 6.1, and it's pretty tough stuff.

Best stopper in the biz (so says http://www.matousec.com/), and on default settings, at that.

I have yet to delve into customized settings.

Did I mention it's free.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Uninstall from Add/Remove while in Safe Mode.
    Then run the reg cleaner in CCleaner.

Usually works.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Uninstall from Add/Remove while in Safe Mode.
    Then run the reg cleaner in CCleaner.

Usually works.
    Yep Clocker Ccleaner is all I really use as a regcleaner and digmen1 can use the tools option to make sure ZA is not in the start folder .

Only thing else I would do is cleanout the prefetch folder using ,yeppers "ccleaner" .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    If you don't want to go into safe mode, I use a program called Unlocker.
    Anytime Windows tells you that you can't delete something the program comes to life, kills all processes for it and deletes it for you.
    Because I know when you go to where it's installed and try to delete the folder the program is in Windows probably won't let you.

After that you will need to run a registry cleaner to remove the program's entires there.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    al1234
    Unless you have some other app that uses true vecror (unlikely, and you would know if you did; in fact I don't know of any other than ZA)), you can turn it off when you uninstall ZA. It is not a Windows service, it comes with ZA.

The easiest way to do a clean uninstall of ZA is as follows:
    1. In ZA, uncheck load ZA at startup.
    2. In start, programs, Zone Labs, right click on the uninstall icon, click properties. Change the Target line by adding a space and /clean at the end, so that it reads
    "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean
    (that assumes you installed ZA in its default location). click Apply, OK
    3. Restart your PC
    4. Uninstall ZA from start/programs/Zone Labs, uninstall Zone Alarm icon (not from add/remove).
    5. Click yes on any warning messages (including shutting down true vector).

Use Windows Explorer and delete the following folders and their contents if they have not been deleted by the uninstall.
    C:\Program files\Zone Labs
    C:\Windows\Internet Logs
    C:\Windows\System\ZoneLabs

That's it. Reinstall ZA if you want.