Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Me-oh-my...backsliding

Acid_death69's Avatar confuddled?!
    Wow thats nuts that you managed to get your core temps to -4 and 10C. i can only get mine down to 24C but thats using aircooled.

My name is Dan for the people who care!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Wow thats nuts that you managed to get your core temps to -4 and 10C. i can only get mine down to 24C but thats using aircooled.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yes, it is nuts.

I tried two experiments yesterday...one went well, the other not so much.

I fabbed up a crude duct from the window to the radiator- gotta love FomeCor and duct tape- and ran the machine for a while.
    Temps- as expected- were absurdly low but there was a dealkiller side effect.

The TJ's sidepanels have grills on both sides in the lower quadrant.
    As designed, these allow for a cross ventilation of the hard drive racks which I've removed in favor of the radiator.
    With the duct in place, all the frigid air now passes through the rad and spills out the other side of the case, effectively freezing my right hand.
    The computer seems happy enough but I was miserable.

Have to rethink this arrangement.

I had considered mounting the rad remotely- basically, move it over to the window and have external lines run out the case.
    This would certainly solve one issue but complicates/compromises moving the case around.

Ah well, temps are perfectly acceptable as is, so I don't have to make any decisions yet.

The second experiment was much more successful.

Previously I had complained that the video card was noisy, so I replaced it with a lower spec, but passively cooled, unit.
    The ensuing silence revealed a rather irritating pump hum.

Keep in mind that I'm being picky here- many wouldn't even notice this hum and with a modicum of ambient room noise, it would be unnoticeable.

I cobbled up an adaptor to go from the pump's 4-pin Molex to a standard three pin fan header and hooked the pump to my fan controller.
    Slowing the pump from it's stock (12v) speed of 3200 RPM down to @ 1700RPM completely kills the hum with no appreciable rise in temps.

The only downside to this is that the fan won't start at the reduced voltage, so when the PC is turned on the pump has to be set at full voltage and then ramped down.
    This is awkward due to the fan controller's placement at the back of the machine, so I may move it to the front for convenience.
    This will require a bit of teardown but no big deal, really.

That's all for now.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid_death69 View Post
    By an open window with -12c air flowing through it, but yeah still a nice temperature!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    How on earth did i manage to do so many of the same posts:s

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    @ acid
    Something I'v been noticing alot lately I think it is the board lagging or something

Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I cobbled up an adaptor to go from the pump's 4-pin Molex to a standard three pin fan header and hooked the pump to my fan controller.
    Slowing the pump from it's stock (12v) speed of 3200 RPM down to @ 1700RPM completely kills the hum with no appreciable rise in temps.

HA! You said Cobbled I love it! This sounds great, but I want to see the hand again PLEASE!!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Clocker, you never fail to entertain me!

I have a Microcenter not more than 4 blocks from my place of employment. It is a wonderful retreat when the fluorescent lighting in my office starts to play mind games with my eyes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123