Thread: Question about alt.binaries.games

ok,i m using torrents for a couple of years now for downloading my games but i m a bit fed up. I know that newsgroups is the best place for console games and after some search i found that alt.binaries.games is one of the best places as they have the latest group releases for every console that i m interested (psp,ds,wii,xbox360). I also found that site http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=8 which is exactly the kind of place i am looking for.

My question now is how exactly do i download this stuff? What is the best site to signup? I have seen usenet,giganews and similar sites but i dont know what is their content as you have to pay to try them out. So which site is guaranteed to have alt.binaries.games daily releases? And if there is anything similar with alt.binaries.games please let me know.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Well for starters if your based in the uk and your isp is virginmedia or BT internet then you'll be able to access a.b.games without needing to sign up for a newsserver.
    My question now is how exactly do i download this stuff?
    You'll need a client (alt.binz is a decent free one)
    If you need to pay for a server then giganews is about the best but there are alternatives like ngroups & newshosting.

And if there is anything similar with alt.binaries.games please let me know.
    a.b.sony.psp
    a.b.games.wii
    a.g.games.xbox360
    a.g.games.nintendods
    Last edited by lorrebreaker; 01-18-2008 at 04:04 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Unfortunately i live in greece and my isp doesnt support usenet service,at least we have dsl internet the last 3 years,thats some progress for a EU country! Anyway,i understand that my only choice is to signup. Newshosting is the cheaper site i could find so i guess i ll give it a try,it's about 10 euros (15usd) per month for unlimited downloading. Is there anything cheaper than this?

One more question,what does day retention exactly mean?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Retention is how long your chosen server keeps files on its server, so a server with 100 day retention would give you the ability to search and download files from 100 days ago. (in theory)

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Thank you man you were really helpful,i only have one last question (it's the last i promise!): What about speed? Untill now the only site that i could download with maximum speed (1mb/s) was blackcats-games and a couple of other private trackers because of the big number of seeders. Is speed determined by the newsserver and if so how fast is newshosting?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by katsika View Post
    Thank you man you were really helpful,i only have one last question (it's the last i promise!): What about speed? Untill now the only site that i could download with maximum speed (1mb/s) was blackcats-games and a couple of other private trackers because of the big number of seeders. Is speed determined by the newsserver and if so how fast is newshosting?
    Giganews got a speed test online I don't think newshosting got one.

You should do a treceroute to see if you get very high response time one anything between you and newshotsing.

http://newshosting.com/index.php?Pag...versetrace.php

The speeds are usually unlimited (you should max out your line) but varies between the providers as they are @ different sites around the world.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Ok man thanx a lot, i made that test and it didnt go over 160 millisecs so i guess i ll be alright. I ll give newsgroup a try as i got bored from the whole leeching/cheating thing in order to increase my ratio

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Easynews is the best, they've got a web server and a global search and it saves downloading all those f****** headers because you can see what there is on a web page. It's only 20 gigs a month for your $10 but you can always buy more if you need to but if you don't use all your gigs then they roll over to the next month ad infinitum. It's got 52 days retention (enough for me) and 99% completion and I think they've got 70 days retention on nntp now too.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Thank you,i ll look into it

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    http://ngroups.net/ is really good, 70 day retention, and unlimited downloads for 15$, they have a europe and a US server. Either ngroups or giganews IMO