Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disassembling Radiator Problem.

leonidas's Avatar Poster

I would like to put a new fan, not on my cpu, but on the grey element(I don't know the name in english) you can see below my cpu on this motherboard. But my problem is I don't know how to remove this little radiator, it's fixed in an unknown way for me.

Could someone tell me how these fixings work ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    It's the heatsink for your chipset that you're talking about.

They are glued on and can be removed, but you must be very careful. You may damage the chip and/or board in the process. Prying on it is how this can occur.

Besides, you shouldn't have to remove it in order to add a fan.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    But I have a coppered piece (wich is I think the new radiator) to put first to install my new fan, are you sure I have to put the coppered piece over the grey radiator?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    no the coppered piece is supposed to go on the chip underneath the heatsink, but removing the heatsink is hard so the easiest option would have been to somehow get a fan to blow air onto the heatsink. I don't know anything about removing the heatsink

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    It sounds like you're talking about a processor(CPU) heatsink and fan. That silver heatsink/chipset is not your CPU.

The motherboard you have pictured requires 2 processors. (1 for each off-white socket) Sometimes a copper shim is used between a CPU and heatsink to aid in thermal transfer.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by harrycary@29 July 2003 - 16:18
    It sounds like you're talking about a processor(CPU) heatsink and fan. That silver heatsink/chipset is not your CPU.

The motherboard you have pictured requires 2 processors. (1 for each off-white socket) Sometimes a copper shim is used between a CPU and heatsink to aid in thermal transfer.
    I'm not talking about any of the two white stuff, but really about the grey one on the picture.And actually the copper piece I have is just a little cilindric piece, not a big radiator.Copper is used to cool all kind of chip and also power suplies nowadays.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by harrycary@29 July 2003 - 16:18
    The motherboard you have pictured requires 2 processors.
    My motherboard doesn't contain 2 processors.I've put the best picture I found on the web for you to figure out. So my motherboard is the sameas the one in the picture but just with one processor, and a fan (The one I want to change for a better one), on what you call my chipset.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    So anyone knows how to remove it ?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    my advice would be to leave it as it is, i mean why replace a perfectly good heatsink, which is doing its job fine, with a fan which is going to make more noise.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    leonidas's Avatar Poster
    There is actually a noisy fan on my heatsink.(The photo I've shown is not exactly the same mother-board I have

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast