Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flaming

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    In the last couple of months or so, its been noticed that there has been a significant increase in the number of Flaming posts aimed directly at 1 or more Moderators.

I'd like to remind members of Rules 2-4 of this Board.

2. There will be no excessive use of profanity. Please keep all foul language to a minimum.

3. There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults or any other discriminatory comments or content.

4. There will be no offensive or inflammatory posts meant to offend or hurt any other member(s) or guest(s) of this forum.

Any personal attack via the forum at a Moderator, is in my opinion a personal attack on ALL the Mods.

We are a team, and important decisions are decided by the Mods together, not by one acting alone.

While a decision is being made, posting privelages can be suspended temporarily until a decison is reached by the team...this is the exception, not the Norm.

Please do not "Shoot the messenger".

We are not a dictatorship, however, and I'd also like to remind you of Rule 11...

11. Complaints concerning moderators or their actions may be discussed with that moderator or brought to the attention of an administrator via PM.

If you have a complaint, use the correct channels, and you are MUCH more likely to have a decision reviewed by the Team.

A PM, keeps things nice and civil...an attack via the board will make things worse.

Rat Faced

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. Lounge   -   #2
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@29 July 2003 - 13:19
    Any personal attack via the forum at a Moderator, is in my opinion a personal attack on ALL the Mods.

We are a team
    I dig what your saying man, but you must realize that this really does put up an us versus them swing on things. Rock on Rat Faced

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Its not meant that way

Its just that some of the Mods appear to be getting attacked for carrying through what has been decided by all of us.

In addition, they are getting attacked for decisions they werent even part of:

ie. attacks on New Mods, just for being selected as Mods...

In my opinion thats just not fair on us/them......and i did say it was my opinion.

Mods are members too....Id just like it if you could let us BE MEMBERS, and enjoy ourselves the same way that everyone else does.

Some of the attacks against Mods have happened on subjects that, in the Mod debates the particular Mod being attacked was in agreement with the person doing the attacking....is that fair?

That doesnt read well.......but im sure you get the gist

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@29 July 2003 - 09:36

Mods are members too....Id just like it if you could let us BE MEMBERS, and enjoy ourselves the same way that everyone else does.

Mods are MEMBERS, too???!!!! Well...that certainly changes things!

Guess I am going to have to stop expecting all this 'perfection' from them and think of them as fellow human beings????

Okay, then. Attitude adjusted. Thanks for this post......I hope everyone reads it.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Well said post by RatFaced, please take this in a positive way and not a bash of any sort. Just a friendly reminder from your neighborhood Mod Team.

If you wish to leave feedback here, please do it constructively. Thanks! B)
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    I think some people think the board is becoming over-moderated, and so those new mods get the stick. I must admit I find it a bit odd looking through the forum and seeing all those padlocks. Double posts, incorrect verifieds etc. are cool, but topics seem to get locked for just a little flaming or a couple of off topic posts.

No disrespect, as you say its's a team so it was obviously a team decision to moderate this way, I just sometimes wonder if it's the right strategy.

Clearly flaming at mods or anyone else for that matter isn't the way to express that frustration.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I think the mods have historically done a terrific job, and as the board grows, so does the need for, um, chaperones.

I, for one, wish they were more in evidence as members-it seems their mod duties have precluded this-possibly the addition of a few more will facilitate this (I hope).

As regards flaming:

"Ya gotta know how to carry on without gettin' carried away".

"Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

8. Lounge   -   #8
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Originally posted by j2k4@29 July 2003 - 12:29
    "Ya gotta know how to carry on without gettin' carried away".
    Very well said. That's exactly the point Rat Faced was trying to make, I think. I hope so anyway.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    FuNkY CaPrIcOrN's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by NikkiD+29 July 2003 - 12:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (NikkiD &#064; 29 July 2003 - 12:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@29 July 2003 - 12:29
    "Ya gotta know how to carry on without gettin&#39; carried away".
    [/b][/quote]
    "You got to know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ’em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run."

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Poster
    Mods are a wee bit like the Queen RF, you can&#39;t answer back and have just got to take it.

On a serious note, what has always made this a good board is that it was moderated sensibly. There is a big difference for example between people in the lounge having a laugh and everyone enjoying it and when there is an attempt to hurt.

Some of the topics go way over the top, without people getting annoyed or offended. I really do cringe at some of the recent stuff, but if people are having fun and it&#39;s not vicious then just don&#39;t read it if you don&#39;t like it I say. The mods let that go and it does no harm.

However when it is obvious that things are becoming personal they stop it, or at least give a warning. People actually have feelings in real life and that should be borne in mind. It also has to be curtailed when it goes so far that we should really stop children reading it, or there is racism or excessive profanity etc.

Keep up the good work, I wouldn&#39;t want to have to come back and Moderate the Moderators, now that I have my Warrior Poet duties back.

PS If anyone flames you let me know privately. Maybe you can&#39;t reply .....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast