Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mobo

bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Ok...i found a good deal..right now im runnin on a Celeron at 566....I found a dea l with a mobo that has 3! instead of two Dimms and they hold PC100..which is good becuase i already have 512MB worth of that..i dont kare if the other crap is faster..i like it lol and it has 3 PCI..which is all i need and it comes with a Celeron at 2.4 Ghz...which ISNT the best by far i know..but its 2000 more mhz then i got now...so im thinking it will be good right? lol i would get P4 But id also have to buy lots of new Ram and crap...the only thing im worried about is...will my stuff be compatible? will my Pci Geforce 4 my Soublaster Pci 64 and my ethernet card work with the new mobo? i mean is it usually compatible? Ide controlers? CD drive controllers...fans? will it all still work or what?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    all your pci components will work, ide controllers hsould be onbaord so no probs there.

another idea would be a athlon system, u could get a new mobo and an athlon processor, u can get boards that support both ddr and sdram, but not at the same time, so you could make it a 2 step upgrade, proccesor and boartd, then ram later.

also im buyin an asus m/board athlon 2400xp 512mb ddr, new case, cables & keyboards etc for £200 so it may be cheaper than you think to get a p4 system.
    im using all my old drives

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Sorry lol im not going for athlon...i know its good and stuff...but its like nike...gotta have the best name haha and i can get a 2.4Ghz for 90 bux

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    athlon are more efficent, and half the price, just checked on ebuyer and an thalon 2400 is half the proce of a p4 2.4

and the rice i said was lao for 512mb ddr ram cables keyboard motherboard and case

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    i know this is off the subject but Livy, where are you buying your equipment? ebuyer?

I need to buy a m/b, processor, 512MB RAM but not sure where to go.
    i had a look on www.novatech.co.uk and they were advertising a bundle. it was an AMD athlon XP 2400, 512MB of 333DDR Ram, came with heatsink and fan and m/b which has onboard sound, lan and 4 USB ports for £170.

Any good?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Hey livy...your reading my topic wrong..im getting a CELERON...not a P4...and the AMD XPs are more exspensive..by far...and i would rather have a CELERON! cuz its intel baby! lol thanx for the advice

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    the stuff im getting is from ebuyer, dabs and a local shop.
    im getting ram, cpu cooler and cables and keyboard from ebuyer.
    and motherboard and proccesor from dabs.
    and the case form a local shop

also that bundle sounds pretty good, try find out what the board is and see if its got good reviews, and a crap board will usually mean a crap system

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    While intel make the best chips (P4 is the fastest) they also make just about the shittest chips (Celerons), AMD just holds the middle ground.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    kooky_kramer's Avatar Poster
    just saying i fully agree with ilw. Comparing celerons with athlons is wrong, as they are aiming at a different market. Athlon may not be the best but definately better than a celeron.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    If you want to compare CPUs with the Celeron, look at the Duron. I don't recommend you get either one. Not enough cache ram.

The Athlon is the best bet right now unless you want to spend a fortune and go for the latest 3,200s. If you think the Athlon XP 2400+ is too expensive then get a 2000+ or 2200+. You will have a better performing mahine if you do so.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast